[ExI] AI and Eliezer

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Mar 20 04:48:46 UTC 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Keith Henson via extropy-chat

>...A point I don't think Eliezer considers is that humans are dangerous. Humans are selected for wars, from circulating xenophobic memes when it looks like resources will get tight to irrational optimism about winning wars.

At least AIs have not been selected for such traits.

Keith

Tis true, tragically so.  Even if we humans understand evolutionary psychology, once we realize we are biologically programmed for war, we cannot turn off that programming.  We will still do all the self-destructive behaviors required to destroy whoever is attacking us.

AI is likely to destroy us, but it may be our best realistic hope of punching thru the great filter which apparently nukes every other intelligent life form.