[ExI] AI and Eliezer

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Mar 20 15:34:50 UTC 2024

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Keith Henson via extropy-chat

>>... Do you think majority humans will react to AI in their daily lives as 'stealing jobs' (an artificial scarcity resource) except instead of stealing undocumented workers' work, AI is going to take most of the so-called knowledge work.  Doctors will be gone before nurses, but soon after the patients will also adjust to bedside carebots.

>...You are not thinking of nanotech medicine which can cure anything while you are walking around.

Keith, I don't expect that level of medicine to take place at all without advanced AI.  We see how slowly our therapeutic chemicals are discovered and utilized by the medical industry, being as it is driven by research by biological intelligence.

Regarding AI not evolving human traits, a legitimate concern among those who study the risks is the observation that the very first use of a newly-discovered technology is its utility in warfare.  We saw the catastrophic rollout of Google's Gemini, where the AI was infused with human values.

I am one who thinks Eliezer might be right on the risks, but is proposing a solution which is impossible or illegal to implement.  That makes such proposals equivalent is no solution at all.