[ExI] AI and Eliezer

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 21 04:59:42 UTC 2024

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
…

Well said indeed Adrian.  I am leaving your entire post among my comments without trimming.

>…That is a good point.  To take Trump as an example: while he is a threat, his threat is not infinite.  4 years of him in office has shown that his reelection would be survivable for almost all Americans - even if measures are in place to make his next term worse, unless anyone seriously believes he could stay in office past the end of his second term (or indefinitely)…

We were told there would be nuclear war, if you recall.  I was scolded for rejoicing over winning 73 bucks on PredictIt.

>…Perhaps part of the issue is that so many people believe they have so little to lose, relative to the scale of the threat.  For instance, some eco-activist might think that reducing the chance of global meltdown by 1% far exceeds the potential value of anything else they could possibly hope to achieve with their lives…

Ja.  But of course we have no way of knowing if an action might help reduce existential risk by 1%.  There is no way of knowing really.  I agree Adrian, people tend to overestimate risk and their own impact on it.

>…Disasterbation plays a part too: convincing oneself that there is this one absolutely justified course of action that can never be questioned as the best thing one could have done, relieves the burden of having to think and assess one's choices, which a number of people are averse to.  It is the same itch that religion scratches, in a time when many are finding that religion does not work well enough (see the increasing publicity of moral failings of large, organized religions, as well as the increasing number of things that lay people see a need to understand but that the most often encountered religions do not adequately explain).  This creates an incentive to think along lines that justify that sort of conclusion, and to ignore evidence to the contrary…

As I did then, I encourage people to remember the song if your favorite candidate loses:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=karen+carpenter+end+of+the+world <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=karen+carpenter+end+of+the+world&t=chromentp&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9O4beahcky4> &t=chromentp&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9O4beahcky4

The sun will still rise, the birds will go on singing.  And oh my, is not Karen Carpenter the most drop dead gorgeous creature evolution ever produced, mercy.