[ExI] AI and Eliezer

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 16:20:24 UTC 2024

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 at 09:00, efc--- via extropy-chat <

> <snip>
>
> But those traits are not deterministic. They can be controlled and
> channeled into productive things. If that were not the case, we would not
> sit here in peace philosophizing. =)

All the AIs I asked, agreed with this POV, saying the same opinion in
various ways.
BillK

I asked -
Evolutionary psychology claims that humans have been selected for
psychological traits leading them to wars. The logic of the genes is that
when humans have a resource shortage, in order to live they need to kill
someone and take their resources. Are those traits deterministic? Or can
they be controlled and channelled into more productive behaviour?

This response is from Perplexity AI Pro -
(I haven't checked all the citations!)  :)

Evolutionary psychology explores how psychological traits and behaviors
have been shaped by natural selection to solve problems of survival and
reproduction throughout human history. This field posits that certain
psychological mechanisms, including those related to aggression and
conflict, have been selected for because they provided evolutionary
advantages in specific contexts, such as resource competition or defense
against threats[1][4][7]. However, it's crucial to understand that
evolutionary psychology does not advocate for genetic determinism—the idea
that genes alone determine behavior—nor does it suggest that humans are
inevitably driven to war by their genetic makeup.

The concept of genetic determinism is nuanced within evolutionary
psychology. For instance, the doctrine of statistical variation
acknowledges that individual differences can be attributed to both genetic
and environmental determinants in varying proportions[2]. This perspective
highlights that while genetic influences are significant, they do not
rigidly determine behavior. Environmental factors and individual
experiences play a crucial role in shaping how genetic predispositions are
expressed. For example, advancements in society and technology have
dramatically changed the ways in which humans interact with their
environment and each other, illustrating that genetic predispositions are
not immutable[2].

Moreover, evolutionary psychology emphasizes the interactions between genes
and the environment, arguing against a simplistic view of genetic
determinism[5]. It acknowledges that while the brain and its psychological
mechanisms have evolved to solve problems faced by our ancestors, the
expression of these mechanisms is influenced by current environmental and
social contexts. This perspective suggests that traits related to
aggression and conflict can be modulated and directed in ways that are
beneficial to modern society.

The field also posits that humans have evolved complex social behaviors,
including cooperation and altruism, alongside competitive and aggressive
behaviors[4][7]. These cooperative traits have been crucial for survival in
environments where working together provided a better chance of success
than working alone. This indicates that humans are not solely driven by
aggressive competition but also by the capacity for collaboration and
peaceful coexistence.

In summary, while evolutionary psychology suggests that certain
psychological traits related to conflict and aggression have been selected
for throughout human evolution, it does not imply that these traits are
deterministic or that humans are doomed to engage in war. Instead, it
highlights the flexibility and adaptability of human behavior, suggesting
that aggressive and competitive impulses can be channeled into productive
and cooperative behaviors through social, cultural, and environmental
influences[2][5]. This view supports the idea that understanding our
evolutionary past can help us shape a future where innate tendencies are
directed towards positive outcomes, emphasizing the role of societal
structures, education, and individual choices in mitigating conflict and
fostering cooperation.

Citations:
[1] https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1474704917742720
[2] http://www.personalityresearch.org/evolutionary/determinism.html