[ExI] Is the intention to make all cars self-driving?

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Mon Mar 25 17:09:02 UTC 2024

FWIW, my fully self driving (beta) Tesla is not fully law-abiding. I tell it how much over the speed limit I want it to go (or not) when self-driving. It will thus break the law under my direction. Yet it will always stop if it sees a pedestrian or bike cross the street, for example. Now, it will penalize me by giving me a “strike” and disabling fully self driving for the remainder of that trip if, for example, I exceed the speed limit by overriding fully self driving with the gas pedal by more than 10 mph. After five strikes, FSD is disabled for a week. Not a huge deal but meant to deter reckless behavior while in FSD mode. I appreciate it that the car will defer to my judgment in many cases such that I can override or turn off FSD anytime I want. Current FSD v12 is conservative and cautious, hesitates when in doubt which I can also appreciate. It errs on the side of caution now.

Programming a utilitarian function such that there is a conditional stating under what circumstances it would be okay to break the law sounds complicated, philosophically and technically. However, AI and or machine learning might be able to figure that out. Both have impressed me so far. FSD v12 was programmed with a neural net and is not “rules-based,” so who know what its limits are just yet.

-Henry