[ExI] libertarians nominate none of these

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 07:46:36 UTC 2024

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024, 7:57 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
>>> For Libertarians and Greens, a win is defined as spanning the gap.
>>
>>…A win is a win, same as for any other party or independent. And there
are a (very) few non-D-or-R types in Congress…

> If ever there was a year to try for a win, it is this one.

Not for the Presidential race. No third party has significant influence in
enough elector districts yet. That absolutely overrides all other factors.

For Congress and state races, perhaps. But where is the push from any third
party on that front?

>>…I note that there are cases where they do - in practice, not just
because the other party is that unpopular - exclude the other party from
the ballot. They're rare, but I worry about them growing… Adrian

> The recent Supreme Court decision outlaws states and counties from
excluding candidates for a national-level office.

Again, not what I'm talking about. I mean cases for Congress and state
level offices where there would be enough popular support for a candidate
from the other major party than is currently serving to unseat the
incumbent, but said other major party is denied access to the ballot. (This
excludes cases like California's jungle primaries, where Republicans can
run but in many cases they can't get enough votes to get on the November
ballot.)