[ExI] Update from H. L. Mencken

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed May 1 13:26:49 UTC 2024

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Update from H. L. Mencken

The Internet is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier.

Quote:
In 1949 Mencken assembled and edited “A Mencken Chrestomathy”.
"A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier".
H. L. Mencken  -  American journalist and writer (1880–1956)

BillK

Oh it has been such a gift.  Can you even imagine your life without the internet?  Without electronic communications?  No access to unfiltered news?  Most of my adult life has had internet, but I remember what it was like before it, in the 1980s.  We knew almost nothing.  What we did know was mostly wrong.