[ExI] 1 mm^3 of brain

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Tue May 14 12:11:51 UTC 2024

I have not had time for a close look yet, but I thought you guys would
appreciate this:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/05/09/1092223/google-map-cubic-millimeter-human-brain/

"A team led by scientists from Harvard and Google has created a 3D,
nanoscale-resolution map of a single cubic millimeter of the human
brain. Although the map covers just a fraction of the organ—a whole
brain is a million times larger—that piece contains roughly 57,000
cells, about 230 millimeters of blood vessels, and nearly 150 million
synapses. It is currently the highest-resolution picture of the human
brain ever created."

That is some crazy resolution, but how much resolution constitutes
functional isomorphism? Are rational numbers sufficient to preserve
identity or are real numbers required?

Stuart LaForge