[ExI] new fire at moss landing

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 18 15:38:20 UTC 2026


 

 

Damn.

 

You may recall my having gone out to Moss Landing a year ago last summer,
after the fire, rented a kayak and paddled around out in Elkhorn Slough,
looking for insights on how a battery storage facility could be made safer,
thinking of potential investment opportunities.  After a day out on the
slough, I decided it was a bad bet: the wildlife damage had not been fully
assessed at that time.  I concluded that the environmentalists could sue our
brains out, put us out of business.  Soooo. I decided to not put any money
into it.  

 

Now today, this headline:

 

 



 

This is bad news.  Wind and solar are good, but they need associated power
storage, which might be lithium based, which is prone to fire, and if it
ignites, it causes a lot of toxic gases and toxic runoff into the local
waterways, as it did into the Elkhorn.  Lawsuits still ongoing, with new
ones pending.  In the Jan 2025 fire, they could have argued it was an
unforeseeable accident (the plant is recent design) but with a second fire,
I fear the local greens will send them packing.

 

spike

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/attachments/20260918/e4862985/attachment.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 29287 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/attachments/20260918/e4862985/attachment.jpg>


More information about the extropy-chat mailing list