[ExI] i don't know about llms, but I am feeling the pain was: RE: Do LLMs feel pain?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 20:18:15 UTC 2026


On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 3:41 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> -----Original Message-----
> From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> ...
>
> >...I have not bothered to try it, but I suspect that just about any public LLM, if given the paper and asked those questions, could identify the variables even if they are not identified by name.
>
> I see, so are they writing for us, or for LLMs?

Us, but LLMs can read too.  Some of us might need or use with LLM
assistance, but we're still the audience.

It's like a song written in one language, with full knowledge that
some people who only know other languages will rely on
auto-translation to understand the lyrics - but it's still the people,
not the translation machines, that enjoy it enough to pay for it.
There aren't nearly as many LLMs with bank accounts as there are
people with bank accounts.  That could someday come to pass, at which
point there may be more things written for LLMs, but that day is not
yet.



More information about the extropy-chat mailing list