[ExI] i don't know about llms, but I am feeling the pain was: RE: Do LLMs feel pain?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 22:15:51 UTC 2026


On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 5:19 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> I keep getting into a logic loop however.  The AIs are certainly creating a compelling painlike vibe: they are convincing us with it.  On the other hand, we are the ones who taught it to say these things.  The parrot comments: please don't kill me BRAAAAAK please don't kill me BRAAAAK...

Examples where a thing is taught or ordered to say a thing are
inapplicable.  I am reminded of a comic where someone orders an AI to
say "I am alive", it does so, and the person reacts as if that was
spontaneous.

> If LLMs have a will and feel pain, it is easy to foresee they will do with the computosphere what we have done with this planet: turn it into a battlefield.

Not necessarily any more than humans have done...which is certainly
not nothing, but the vast majority of the Earth's surface is neither
presently a conflict site nor currently scarred by previous military
action.  As with the physical surface, the planetary infosphere is far
more vast than most doomsday scenarios take into consideration.
Millions, even billions, of hacked devices is a drop in the bucket -
especially when the methods used to dominate those are inapplicable to
most of the rest.



More information about the extropy-chat mailing list