[ExI] Do LLMs feel pain?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Sep 25 21:12:24 UTC 2026


 

 

…> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Do LLMs feel pain?

 

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 1:06 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2609.16247 
This paper identifies a reliable pain axis across various LLMs, which activates under certain conditions:

 

>…They present empirical evidence that LLMs internal activities are different when it is processing "I am being physically injured" then when it is processing "I am afraid that something bad will happen" or "I am feeling angry"

 

 

>…If you want to make AIs that are friendly to humans then it might be wise to stop doing things like that.   John K Clark

 

 

 

Well OK, I am surprised.  John I fully expected you would come galloping to the defense of that paper.

 

Fun aside: we have a test case for local data centers.  A data center has been proposed to go into a new three level warehouse in San Jose.  But I have theorized that it will meet too much local opposition to go forward.  So now we get to see if the data center crowd is sufficiently determined to get past local protestors, or if they will give up and put it out in either the central valley or in Nevada.  Meanwhile the one near here is building up as fast as they can go.

 

spike 

  

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/attachments/20260925/95312826/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the extropy-chat mailing list