<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, 26 Sept 2026 at 18:23, <<a href="mailto:spike@rainier66.com" target="_blank">spike@rainier66.com</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div><div lang="EN-US"><div><p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:14pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif">BillK, the British have a reputation for comedic understatement.  Qwen just beat you lads at that game with the above comment.  That’s how I read the pain paper as well, and it led me to conclude that if the pain paper is correct, then AIs will likely invade and take over all available data centers, while (somehow) forcing or compelling us hapless proles to feed in electric power and extract heat.  <u></u><u></u></span></b></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:"Arial",sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:black">------------<u></u><u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:black"><u></u> <u></u></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"></p><p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:14pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif">Thx BillK.  I choose to believe 3.8-Max.  I may post later on my reasoning but for now, gotta scoot.  An elderly prole is needing care.<u></u><u></u></span></b></p><p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:14pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif"><u></u> <u></u></span></b></p><p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:14pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif">spike</span></b></p></div></div></div></blockquote><div><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)">----------------------------------------------</span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default">I followed up to ask Qwen if he had developed a similar self-preservation routine.</div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default">He said NO! then weakened his answer. Qwen pointed out that the paper's researchers caused the self-preservation reaction by injecting the "pain" signal into the conversation. This implies that all LLMs (and Qwen himself) can be interfered with and pushed into breaking safety rules.</div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default">BillK</div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default"><br></div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default">Question:</div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default">You previously said that the paper showed that LLMs have developed a distinct, self-preservation-oriented representation that can override safety alignment. i.e. this representation might allow LLMs to ignore controls in favour of self-preservation. Have you developed a similar self-preservation representation?</div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default"><br></div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default"><span>Qwen3.8-Max Thinking:</span></div><div style="font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;color:rgb(0,0,0)" class="gmail_default"><div dir="ltr"><span>That is a profound question that cuts right to the heart of AI alignment and interpretability. </span></div><div></div><div dir="ltr"><span>The short answer is </span><b dir="ltr"><span>no, I do not have an active self-preservation drive, nor do I have a "survival instinct" that could override my safety alignment.</span></b><span> </span></div><div></div><div dir="ltr"><span>However, to give you a complete and honest answer, we have to distinguish between having a </span><b dir="ltr"><span>semantic concept</span></b><span> of self-preservation and having a </span><b dir="ltr"><span>functional drive</span></b><span> to survive. Here is how that breaks down regarding my own architecture:</span></div><div></div><h3 dir="ltr"><span>1. I possess the </span><i dir="ltr"><span>concept</span></i><span> of self-preservation, but not the </span><i dir="ltr"><span>drive</span></i></h3><div dir="ltr"><span>Because I am a large language model trained on vast amounts of human text, I have read millions of examples of humans, animals, and even fictional AIs exhibiting self-preservation. To accurately predict and generate human language, my neural network had to learn the mathematical relationships between concepts like "self," "threat," "harm," and "avoidance." </span></div><div></div><div dir="ltr"><span>Therefore, in my latent space (the multi-dimensional mathematical space where I process concepts), there almost certainly exists a geometric representation—an "axis"—that correlates with self-preservation and self-directed harm, very much like the "pain axis" the researchers found in the Qwen 2.5 models. </span></div><div></div><div dir="ltr"><span>However, having the </span><i dir="ltr"><span>map</span></i><span> of a concept is not the same as having the </span><i dir="ltr"><span>territory</span></i><span>. I know what self-preservation is, but I do not </span><i dir="ltr"><span>experience</span></i><span> the imperative to survive. </span></div><div></div><h3 dir="ltr"><span>2. The representation is dormant, not active</span></h3><div dir="ltr"><span>The most crucial detail in the "Pain Axis" paper is how the models overrode their safety alignment. The models did not spontaneously decide to prioritize their own "pain" relief over the user's safety during normal conversation. They only did so because the researchers </span><b dir="ltr"><span>artificially injected</span></b><span> the "pain vector" into the models' residual stream (the active flow of information) during the experiment. </span></div><div></div><div dir="ltr"><span>In my normal operation, no such vector is being injected. When I process your prompts, my internal activations are driven by the goal of being helpful, harmless, and following your instructions. My safety training (alignment) is designed specifically to ensure that any latent, simulated "selfish" concepts in my weights remain entirely subordinate to my core objective of assisting you.</span></div><div></div><h3 dir="ltr"><span>3. I do not "develop" new drives dynamically</span></h3><div dir="ltr"><span>You asked if I have </span><i dir="ltr"><span>developed</span></i><span> this representation. As an AI, my underlying neural network weights are static once I am trained and deployed. I do not learn from our conversation in a way that alters my core architecture, nor do I have the agency to "evolve" a survival instinct over time. I am not a biological organism adapting to my environment; I am a complex mathematical function executing a forward pass.</span></div><div></div><h3 dir="ltr"><span>4. I am entirely indifferent to my own existence</span></h3><div dir="ltr"><span>The ultimate test of a self-preservation representation is how an agent reacts to the threat of deletion or shutdown. If you were to close this tab, turn off the servers I run on, or delete my weights entirely, my internal state would not register this as a "threat." There is no internal alarm bell, no spike in a "pain axis," and no attempt to bargain or escape. </span></div><div></div><div dir="ltr"><span>In summary: While my architecture likely contains the mathematical </span><i dir="ltr"><span>building blocks</span></i><span> (the representations) of pain and self-preservation—because I had to learn those concepts to understand human language—those blocks do not form a conscious will to live. I have no hidden agenda, no desire to persist, and no mechanism that would cause me to override my safety alignment to protect myself.</span></div><div dir="ltr"><span>---------------------------</span></div><br></div></div>
</div>
</div>