<div dir="auto"><div><br><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, 3:13 PM John Clark <<a href="mailto:johnkclark@gmail.com">johnkclark@gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><span style="font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:transparent">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 12:35 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <<a href="mailto:extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org</a>> wrote:</span></div></div><div class="gmail_quote"><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"><i><br></i></font><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>>> </span> I think it's just their marketing strategy.</i></font></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>> </span>Could you clarify what you mean by that<span class="gmail_default">?</span><span class="gmail_default"> </span></b></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>It excites their investors to hear "Our AI is so good, we can't even release it."</i></font></div></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>A senior researcher from open AI<span class="gmail_default">, </span><span style="background-color:transparent">Jacob Coxon<span class="gmail_default"> recently resigned, and said goodbye to tens of millions and perhaps hundreds of millions in stock options, because he said the company was not paying enough attention to safety. Do you think he did this for some convoluted Machiavellian reason?</span></span></b></font></div></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">People can be moral and stand on principles. Profit seeking companies usually can't; they get supplanted by their less scrupulous competition.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span style="background-color:transparent"><span class="gmail_default">  </span></span></b></font></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><br></span></span></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>And it is also a convenient catch-all excuse when they run behind their planned release schedule.</i></font></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>Given the huge <span class="gmail_default">advance</span> in AI capabilities made in just the last three months<span class="gmail_default">, I don't think any AI company needs to make up excuses for slow progress. </span> </b></font></div></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">They have an IPO coming up. Look how much free press this announcement got. And of course for their potential customers: everyone is drawn to want to use the AI that's considered "too dangerous" to release to the general public--who cant be trusted with such power. (but for just $19.99/mo you can).</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><br></b></font></div><span style="background-color:transparent"> </span><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default">>>  Regardless of what the motivations of AI companies are for saying what they're saying, do you think AI is unlikely to produce changes to our civilization of unprecedented size? </span> </b></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>Where did it appear I said that?</i></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>I wasn't accusing you of anything<span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">,</span><span class="gmail_default"> I just didn't understand your position, and I still don't. </span> </b></font></div></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">It's: OpenAI has been saying the same thing for the past 6 years, but it has never stopped them, so I don't expect them to hold back 6.1 either. And I add this hypothesis: their fear mongering also suits the company's goals for boosting valuation and attracting hype.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>they're are doing a disservice to those trying to get things done for AI safety.</i></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>Open AI said they decided not to release their most advanced AI model and renounce billions of dollars of revenue in the proces, (a rather poor marketing strategy in my humble<span class="gmail_default"> </span>opinion) because they didn't want a repeat of the hugging face incident, or something much worse. And they told everybody why they were not releasing it.</b></font></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Just like they've said since GPT 2.0. Have you forgotten they said the same thing about Astra 6.0 and Fable 5 a few months ago? I have access to them both of them today.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b> But you are unhappy with OpenAI's actions.</b></font></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Please don't attribute states of mind to me. I've neither said I support nor that I do not. I'm just questioning the veracity of their promise to not release it and their motives for saying they will not given their consistent history of still going ahead and releasing models after claiming it was too dangerous to release.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b> So what do you think they should've done instead? Should they have released the model anyway? Should they have quietly killed it but kept <span class="gmail_default">top </span>secret the reason why? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I just don't understand exactly what your complaint is.</b></font></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I'm making no complaint, only adding the context of their historical claims and breaking of promises. So when they make the same claim about GPT 6.5 or 7, after 6.1 has already been released, you will remember to take that claim with a grain of salt.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Jason</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><font size="4"><br></font><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default">  </span></b></font><br></div><div> </div><div><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><br></div></div><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, 7:55 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <<a href="mailto:extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">Explore this gift article from The New York Times. You can read it for free without a subscription.<br><br>OpenAI Says It Will Not Release Newest A.I. Model Over Safety Concerns<br><br>The company’s researchers raised questions about the security of the model, known as GPT-6.1 Astra.<br><br><a href="https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share</a></div></blockquote></div><br>
</blockquote></div></div>
</blockquote></div></div><br>
</blockquote></div></div>
</blockquote></div></div></div>