<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><span style="font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:transparent">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 12:35 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <<a href="mailto:extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org">extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org</a>> wrote:</span></div></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"><i><br></i></font><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>>> </span> I think it's just their marketing strategy.</i></font></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>> </span>Could you clarify what you mean by that<span class="gmail_default">?</span><span class="gmail_default"> </span></b></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>It excites their investors to hear "Our AI is so good, we can't even release it."</i></font></div></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>A senior researcher from open AI<span class="gmail_default" style="">, </span><span style="background-color:transparent">Jacob Coxon<span class="gmail_default" style=""> recently resigned, and said goodbye to tens of millions and perhaps hundreds of millions in stock options, because he said the company was not paying enough attention to safety. Do you think he did this for some convoluted Machiavellian reason?  </span></span></b></font></div><div><span style="background-color:transparent"><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><br></span></span></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>And it is also a convenient catch-all excuse when they run behind their planned release schedule.</i></font></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>Given the huge <span class="gmail_default" style="">advance</span> in AI capabilities made in just the last three months<span class="gmail_default" style="">, I don't think any AI company needs to make up excuses for slow progress. </span> </b></font></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><br></b></font></div><span style="background-color:transparent"> </span><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default">>>  Regardless of what the motivations of AI companies are for saying what they're saying, do you think AI is unlikely to produce changes to our civilization of unprecedented size? </span> </b></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>Where did it appear I said that?</i></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>I wasn't accusing you of anything<span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">,</span><span class="gmail_default" style=""> I just didn't understand your position, and I still don't. </span> </b></font></div><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>they're are doing a disservice to those trying to get things done for AI safety.</i></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>Open AI said they decided not to release their most advanced AI model and renounce billions of dollars of revenue in the proces, (a rather poor marketing strategy in my humble<span class="gmail_default" style=""> </span>opinion) because they didn't want a repeat of the hugging face incident, or something much worse. And they told everybody why they were not releasing it. But you are unhappy with OpenAI's actions. So what do you think they should've done instead? Should they have released the model anyway? Should they have quietly killed it but kept <span class="gmail_default" style="">top </span>secret the reason why? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I just don't understand exactly what your complaint is.</b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font size="4"><br></font><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="">John K Clark</span></b></font></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style=""><br></span></b></font></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="">  </span></b></font><br></div><div> </div><div><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><br></div></div><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, 7:55 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <<a href="mailto:extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org" target="_blank">extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">Explore this gift article from The New York Times. You can read it for free without a subscription.<br><br>OpenAI Says It Will Not Release Newest A.I. Model Over Safety Concerns<br><br>The company’s researchers raised questions about the security of the model, known as GPT-6.1 Astra.<br><br><a href="https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share</a></div></blockquote></div><br>
</blockquote></div></div>
</blockquote></div></div><br>
</blockquote></div></div>