<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><span style="font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:transparent">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 5:46 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <<a href="mailto:extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org">extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org</a>> wrote:</span></div></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="auto"><div><br></div></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>> </span>Given the huge <span class="gmail_default">advance</span> in AI capabilities made in just the last three months<span class="gmail_default">, I don't think any AI company needs to make up excuses for slow progress. </span> </b></font></div></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>They have an IPO coming up. Look how much free press this announcement got.<span class="gmail_default" style=""> </span></i></font></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div dir="auto"><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span style="background-color:transparent">And what did all that <span class="gmail_default" style="">"</span><span class="gmail_default" style="">f</span>ree <span class="gmail_default" style="">p</span>ress<span class="gmail_default" style="">"</span> get them?</span><span class="gmail_default" style="background-color:transparent"> </span><span style="background-color:transparent"><span class="gmail_default" style="">85%</span> of Americans</span><span style="background-color:transparent"> fear</span><span style="background-color:transparent"> the quick pace of AI advancement<span class="gmail_default" style="">,</span></span><span class="gmail_default" style="background-color:transparent"> and only 10% are like me, more excited than concerned.  As I said before, if that is OpenAI's marketing strategy then it's a piss poor one. </span></b></font></div></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"> </font></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>OpenAI has been saying the same thing for the past 6 years, but it has never stopped them, so I don't expect them to hold back 6.1 either.</i></font></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail-citation-40" style="background-color:transparent">But they did exactly that!<span class="gmail_default" style=""> OpenAI </span>scrapped the release of </span><span style="background-color:transparent"><span class="gmail-citation-40">GPT-6.1 Astra</span></span><span class="gmail-citation-40 gmail-citation-end-40" style="background-color:transparent"> due to safety concerns during internal testing<span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">.</span></span></b></font></div><div><span class="gmail-citation-40 gmail-citation-end-40" style="background-color:transparent"><br></span></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>Please don't attribute states of mind to me.</i></font></blockquote><div><br></div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>Jason, you are an intelligent being and whenever I have a conversation with such a being I MUST attribute a state of mind to them,<span class="gmail_default" style=""> because I could not function if I thought solipsism was true. I</span>n your case I had reason to attribute<span class="gmail_default" style=""> unhappiness to</span> your state of mind caused <span class="gmail_default" style="">by </span>the actions of OpenAI, because if you were not unhappy <span class="gmail_default" style="">then </span>you would've had no reason to write a post at all. </b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><br></b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>The company admitted they couldn't control GPT-6.1 Astra<span class="gmail_default" style=""> and it was more powerful than the AI that caused the infamous hugging face hacking. So I repeat my question, if you don't like </span>OpenAI<span class="gmail_default" style=""> killing the model and telling the world exactly why, then what alternate behavior would you have preferred? </span></b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font face="tahoma, sans-serif" size="4"><b><br></b></font></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><i><font size="4"> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>I've neither said I support nor that I do not. </font></i></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>I am not an idiot<span class="gmail_default" style="">, you didn't need to spell it out. I've read your post and it was very clear that you were experiencing a strong emotion. And it was not love. </span> </b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><br></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>And I add this hypothesis: their fear mongering also suits the company's goals for boosting valuation and attracting hype.</i></font></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>And I have a hypothesis of my own<span class="gmail_default" style="">;</span> it is impossible to over<span class="gmail_default" style="">hype</span> the cosmic significance of<span class="gmail_default" style=""> the very recent developments in </span>AI<span class="gmail_default" style=""> </span> </b></font></div><div><br></div><span style="background-color:transparent"> </span><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>>> </span>they're are doing a disservice to those trying to get things done for AI safety.</i></font></div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">>> </span>Open AI said they decided not to release their most advanced AI model and renounce billions of dollars of revenue in the proces, (a rather poor marketing strategy in my humble<span class="gmail_default"> </span>opinion) because they didn't want a repeat of the hugging face incident, or something much worse. And they told everybody why they were not releasing it.</b></font></div></div></blockquote></div></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>Just like they've said since GPT 2.0.</i></font></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style=""><font size="4" style="" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b style="">GPT wasn't really on my radar back then, but I do know it wasn't doing any Internet hacking. </b></font></div><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i><span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>Have you forgotten they said the same thing about Astra 6.0 and Fable 5 a few months ago?</i></font></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>I have not forgotten,<span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"> a</span>nd apparently they were right a few months ago.</b></font><span class="gmail_default" style=""><font size="4" style="" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b style=""></b></font><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> </font></span> </div><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><br></font><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><font size="4" face="georgia, serif"><i> <span class="gmail_default" style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">> </span>I'm just questioning the veracity of their promise to not release it</i></font></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>OK, that is a valid point. They won't release "it" however  they will release something similar with a few extra safeguards (or maybe Band-Aids would be a better word) thrown in<span class="gmail_default" style="">;</span> but<span class="gmail_default" style="">, despite their best efforts, </span>there will be other AI hacking incidents in our future because you just can't outsmart something that is smarter than you are.</b></font><font size="4" face="tahoma, sans-serif"><b>  </b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font face="tahoma, sans-serif" size="4"><b><br></b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font face="tahoma, sans-serif" size="4"><b><span class="gmail_default" style="">John K Clark</span></b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font face="tahoma, sans-serif" size="4"><b><br></b></font></div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><font face="tahoma, sans-serif" size="4"><b><br></b></font><div><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_quote"><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><br></div></div><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, 7:55 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <<a href="mailto:extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">extropy-chat@lists.extropy.org</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">Explore this gift article from The New York Times. You can read it for free without a subscription.<br><br>OpenAI Says It Will Not Release Newest A.I. Model Over Safety Concerns<br><br>The company’s researchers raised questions about the security of the model, known as GPT-6.1 Astra.<br><br><a href="https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/28/technology/openai-astra-safety.html?unlocked_article_code=1.E1E.s0GM.WjUmxr83iqqM&smid=em-share</a></div></blockquote></div><br>
</blockquote></div></div>
</blockquote></div></div><br>
</blockquote></div></div>
</blockquote></div></div></div>
_____<br>
</blockquote></div></div>