[Paleopsych] extremes

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 4 17:37:17 UTC 2004

We won't go away from using computers.

When I was working on a consulting engagement
at SBC I once saw a chart that showed how
much computer power it takes to hack various
encryption schemes.

If you have a supercomputer you can hack anything.

The problem is that in the past election there was
essentially NO security on the systems.  The
encryption key for the voting machines was
actually programmed into them, and it was a
very out-dated, easy-to-hack key.

Keep in mind that many organizations are basically
incompetent when it comes to computer security.

Last year Accenture wrote a $20million system for
overseas voting by the military.  The DOD refused to
use it because the security was too weak.

Since good security is possible, one assumes that
that it was built to be weak so it could be hacked.

Hacking does leave a trail, and there are people
who are experts at finding these trails.