[Paleopsych] reinforcement

Christian Rauh christian.rauh at uconn.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:44:11 UTC 2004

I agree with all of you. I agree with Lynn that giving people a minimum
amount of quality of life makes them less willing to work. However, all
this discussion is so American/developed country centered that it
borders the ridiculous. When I think about "welfare", I am not talking
about welfare where people can pay rent and have a TV. I'm talking about
people hungry.

But there are two questions to this:

1 - How large is that effect? What is the change in willingness to work
from a person that is hungry to a person that is not hungry? Certainly,
people who are hungry will work for less so they are more willing, but
how much less? Is it a meaningfull change?

2 - If there is a meaningful change, are we willing to improve
productivity based on other people's hunger? If we are all to live a
worse life with less stuff so that other people will eat so be it! Sell
the the Chevrolet Metro by the price of a Hummer. You also get less
fatal acidents on the side.

As a final point I think that this big government/small government vs.
welfare/not welfare is secondary at this point. Efforts to reduce
corruption (private and public) is probably the one major factor to
improve productivity in developed countries.

Christian

Steve Hovland wrote:
> It may be that the original welfare system
> was constructed without any concept of
> the problems we later saw.  Perhaps it
> was an attempt to store surplus labor or
> to prevent revolution- a real fear in the 1930's
>
> One basic reason for welfare is that as a civilized
> society we can't let unproductive people starve
> while we figure out what to do with them.
>
> It's silly to think that they will find jobs.  Jobs
> are scarce right now.  It's been like a glass
> wall for several years- if you were outside
> there has been very little chance of getting inside.
>
> At the same time, the welfare system has
> been all-or-nothing, and tended to penalize
> initiative.
>
> I have long felt that the negative income tax
> was a good idea.  Put a base under people
> and don't take it away when they improve on it.
>
> If your faith makes you think this is immoral
> then perhaps you should pay more attention
> to the increased revenue your business gets
> from more people having more money to spend.
>
> At the same time, I think we need to consciously
> tackle the problem of reducing the birth rate,
> particularly of the working classes.  I'm sure some
> people are horrified by those words, but the fact
> is that there is a working class and that we don't
> need as many of them as we did 100 years ago.
>
> Steve Hovland
> www.stevehovland.net

"I am in a very sad position. I do not see any freedom or any
democracy. If this could lead into a freedom, it is a freedom with
blood. It is a freedom of emotions of sadness. It is a freedom of
killing. You cannot gain democracy through blood or killing. You do
not find the freedom that way."

        - Abu Talat, 19 Nov 2004 (after the raid of Abu Hanifa mosque)