[Paleopsych] inner judges on the rampage

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 16 01:56:44 UTC 2004

The effect of stress I think depends on the quality of the pressure.

Awhile ago I had a very bad time on an engagement at Stanford
because my supervisor applied pressure in a toxic way.  It was
giving me stress-related chest pains, so I basically quit.

At the moment I am on an engagement at Genentech where we
are under pressure to get some stuff done by the 23rd, but my
boss in this case didn't start about by telling me he didn't like me
and doesn't come around every 5 minutes saying things gotta
get done.

Feeling in control is important, but taking control of yourself
in a situation is just as important as being in control of the
situation.  A lot of people are feeling out of control in regard
to the recent election.  I feel like I am in control of my efforts
to wage guerilla warfare on the minds of my opponents :-)