[Paleopsych] Re: Hawking surprises GR 17

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 04:43:22 UTC 2004

All thanks, Joel.  I seized on this one, too.

The insight--that black holes DO allow information to escape, seemed
intuitively obvious, perhaps because in big bang theory this entire cosmos leaked into
existence from the equivalent of a black hole--a singularity.

If I understand what Hawking's getting at, and there's a chance that I may
not, his notion gives credence to one of my bizarre speculations--that whatever
information this cosmos gathers in its lifetime, it will be able to pass on to
the universe on the other side of the big crunch in which the cosmos will
end.

In other words, universes, I suspect, can gather a store of networked
information and, if they have clever beings with will and hubris, can compress that
information and pass it on to their progeny.  J

ust as we living beings pass information on through genes or through memes,
the cosmos that produces willfull, living beings can take their primitive
capacities a long way in 20 billion years or so.

That 20 billion year figure, by the way, is based on my guess that this
cosmos will survive for a total span of 30 billion years from birth to destruction.
 Others better qualified than I am--Max Tegmark for example, who has a
toroidal theory like mine-- put the total lifespan of the universe in the trillions
of years.  Onward--Howard
In a message dated 7/15/2004 2:07:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,