[Paleopsych] Re: CHE Colloquy Live: Fair Use and Academic Publishing

K.E. guavaberry at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 20:10:30 UTC 2004

Hey Frank,

this was great!

best,
Karen

At 11:55 AM 7/16/2004, you wrote:
>Colloquy Live: Fair Use and Academic Publishing
>The Chronicle of Higher Education
>
>[I made a comment, mentioning my article, "Copyright, Congress, Due
>Diligence, and Coase." Thanks to Karen for putting it on her site. May
>it's ideas spread!]
>
>    Wednesday, July 14, at 1 p.m., U.S. Eastern time
>    Indiana University Press's withdrawal of a scholarly book is just the
>    latest example of copyright claims trumping scholarship. Just what use
>    are "fair use" provisions in copyright law if presses lack the
>    wherewithal to challenge such claims? What steps can be taken by
>    scholars to protect fair use?
>
>              The newest postings appear at the top of the page.
>
>    Wendy Seltzer:
>        Thanks again! See you all online.
>
>    Richard Byrne (Moderator):
>        That's a wrap for today's Colloquy Live, Once again, I want to
>    thank Wendy Seltzer for her expertise and enthusiasm in discussing
>    these tricky and contentious issues.
>
><SNIP>
>
>    Comment from Frank Forman, U.S. Department of Education:
>        I wrote a piece a couple of years ago (which has nothing to do
>    with my official work) making an economist's case for making it easy
>    for low value works to enter the public domain. The argument is a
>    little complicated and novel to non-economists, as it goes into
>    "transaction costs" and the like. I can only advertise it here: It's
>    "Copyright, Congress, Due Diligence, and Coase" and can be found at
>    [65]http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/FrankForman.html . I hope you
>    find the ideas of some merit and steal them.
>

>References
>
>   47. http://chronicle.com/colloquylive/2004/07/copyright/chat_manual.php3
>   48. http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/
>   49. http://fairuse.stanford.edu/
>   50. http://www.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.html
>   51. http://www.chillingeffects.org/
>   52. http://www.chillingeffects.org/fairuse/
>   53. http://www.chillingeffects.org/fairuse/faq
>   54. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375726446/bibliotrackcom
>   55. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594200068/bibliotrackcom
>   56. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573928895/bibliotrackcom
>   57. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0814788076/bibliotrackcom
>   58. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465089844/bibliotrackcom
>   59. mailto:wendy at eff.org
>   60. http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/
>   61. http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/
>   62. http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/504.html#504.c_2_i
>   63. http://www.library.ucla.edu/bruinsuccess/
>   64. http://www.craphound.com/ebooksneitherenorbooks.txt
>   65. http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/FrankForman.html
>   66. http://eldred.cc/
>   67. http://eldred.cc/howyoucanhelp/
>   68. http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=2853
>   69. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0814788076/bibliotrackcom
>   70. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375726446/bibliotrackcom
>   71.
> [...]

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Culdesac/Repository/NCFR.html

Hot List of Schools Online and
Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty