[Paleopsych] defiant habits

Steve shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 24 21:00:23 UTC 2004

Eventually this negative feedback loop will
cause unbearable pain, and then there will be
a reaction.  Our trade deficit tells us we are
well on the way to a turning point.

The Opium War was the result of massive
exports of silver from Great Britain in exchange
for the Chinese tea to which they had become
addicted.

If you look up the census data regarding
distribution of income you will find that 80%
of the American people have seen their
incomes decline during the past 10 years.

This means that although the macro statistics
may be improving, everyday life is getting harder
for most of us.  Overall consumer confidence
numbers may be up, but they are down for
people earning less than $50,000.

For a lot of things, there are no "made in America"
alternatives, so we buy (if we can, if we must) in spite
of our discomfort.

Making changes in regard to energy depends on
flushing the Oil Boys out of the Executive branch.

If we had a progressive regime that launched a
serious effort to increase the use of wind power
etc then our bargaining position in regard to the
Saudi's would be improved.