[Paleopsych] Re: joel

Joel Isaacson isaacsonj at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 03:02:44 UTC 2004

>From: Premise Checker <checker at panix.com>
>To: The new improved paleopsych list <paleopsych at paleopsych.org>
>Subject: RE: [Paleopsych] 9/11 Report: Exectitve Summary
>Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:58:41 -0400 (EDT)
>
>The IQ data come from Richard Lynn's _IQ and the Wealth of Nations_. It's
>the most thorough assemblage of national IQ statistics ever made.

Look, Frank, "Moslem nations" comprise hundreds upon hundreds
of millions of people on this planet, perhaps close to a BILLION!
Richard Lynn of Ulster, Ireland (a center of tolerance...)
also says that women lag 4 IQ points behind men;  also has his own
peculiar recipe for Eugenics.    By his own account, Richard Lynn
does not have, as you state above, "the most thorough assemblage
of national IQ statistics ever made."  what he has is "measures and
estimates" -- whatever that means...  in his own words:  "We give
measures and estimates of average IQs in the world's 185 nations..."

[See his web site copied below for reference].   If you wish to
buy into that garbage that's your privilege, of course...   but
don't quote the 90 point IQ as fact -- it is not.

You also mention the Israeli predicament in your other post.
As a native of Israel I know a thing or two about conflicts
with Moslems, and it wouldn't be hard for you to guess on
whose side I weigh in...   but the last thing I can afford
is to denigrate the IQ of Palestinians... this is not
the issue with militant Palestinians, unfortunately...

I repeat, take back the misguided (if not downright racist)
"estimates" of Professor Lynn -- you ought to know better.

-- Joel

Richard Lynn
Professor Emeritus,
University of Ulster
Research Interests:
Intelligence
Sex Differences
Race Differences
Eugenics

Address:
North Wing, Siston Court,
Bristol BS16 9LU,  (UK)
Tel 0117 303 9058.
E-mail  Richard at RLynn.co.uk

   I graduated in psychology at the University of Cambridge and have worked
as lecturer in psychology at the University of Exeter, professor of
psychology at the Economic and Social Research Institute, Dublin, and at the
University of Ulster.

   Most of my work has been on intelligence. In 1983 I published a paper in
Nature showing that the IQ in Japan had increased over the course of the
previous half century, a phenomenon now known as the Flynn Effect following
the demonstration by Jim Flynn of secular increases in intelligence in
number of countries. In 1989 I proposed that the increases in intelligence
have been caused by improvements in nutrition. I have also published several
papers showing that intelligence is associated with brain size and reaction
times.

   My work on intelligence and brain size led me to consider the problem
that women have smaller brains than men even when allowance is made for
their smaller bodies. This implies that men should have higher average IQs
than women, but it has been universally asserted that men and women have
equal average IQs. In 1994 I proposed that the solution to this problem is
that girls mature faster than boys and this compensates for their lower IQs,
which only appear at the age of 16 onwards. Among adults men have higher
average IQs than women by about 4 IQ points. This advantage consists largely
of higher spatial abilities but is also present in non-verbal reasoning.

   My major discovery is that the Oriental peoples of East Asia have higher
average intelligence by about 5 IQs points than Europeans and peoples of
European origin in the United States and elsewhere. I first published this
finding in 1977 in a paper on the intelligence of the Japanese. In
subsequent years the high Oriental IQ has been confirmed in numerous studies
of Oriental peoples in Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, China, Singapore and
the United States.

   In 1991 I extended my work on race differences in intelligence to other
races. I concluded that the average IQ of blacks in sub-Saharan Africa is
approximately 70. It has long been known that the average IQ of blacks in
the United States is approximately 85. The explanation for the higher IQ of
American blacks is that they have about 25 per cent of Caucasian genes and a
better environment.

   The theory I have advanced to explain these race differences in IQ is
that when early humans migrated from Africa into Eurasia they encountered
the difficulty of survival during cold winters. This problem was especially
severe during the ice ages. Plant foods were not available for much of the
year and survival required the hunting and dismembering of large animals for
food and the ability to make tools, weapons and clothing, to build shelters
and make fires. These problems required higher intelligence and exerted
selection pressure for enhanced intelligence, particularly on the Orientals.

   My book Dygenics showed that the eugenicists were right in their belief
that modern populations have been deteriorating genetically in respect of
health, intelligence and the personality trait of conscientiousness. This
deterioration began in the second half of the 19th century and has continued
up to the present.

   My book Eugenics considers what measures could be taken to rectify this
and discusses the genetic future of mankind. It is argued that genetic
improvement is likely to evolve spontaneously through the technique of
embryo selection in which women will use IVF to grow a number of embryos,
have them genetically assessed and will select for implantation those with
genetically desirable qualities. It is also likely that some authoritarian
states will use genetic engineering to improve the genetic quality of their
populations for military purposes.

   My book IQ and the Wealth of Nations (co-author Tatu Vanhanen of the
University of Helsinki) considers the problem of national differences in
wealth and economic growth. Economists and other social scientists have been
trying to solve the problem of why some nations are so rich and others so
poor since Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations (1776). We argue that an
important but hitherto unrecognised factor is the IQs of the populations. We
give measures and estimates of average IQs in the world's 185 nations and
show that national IQs are strongly related to national incomes and rates of
economic growth. The principal reason for this is that nations whose
populations have high IQs can produce goods and services that command high
values in international markets. See below for more details of this argument
and on the IQs of every nation in the world.

Publications

The intelligence of the Japanese.
Bulletin of the British Psychological Society,1977,30,69-72.

IQ in Japan and the United States shows a growing disparity.
Nature, 1983, 306, 291-2

The role of nutrition in the secular increase of intelligence.
Personality and Individual Differences, 1990, 11, 273-286.

Race differences in intelligence: a global perspective. Mankind
Quarterly,1990,1,255-296.

The evolution of racial differences in intelligence. Mankind
Quarterly,1990,32,99-121.

The geography of intelligence. In H.Nyborg and J.Gray (Eds)
The Scientific Study of Human Nature. New York: Elsevier,1997.
Sets out evidence for race differences in intelligence worldwide. Concludes
that the average IQs of the races are Orientals 105; Europeans, 100; South
Asians, 90; Native American Indians, 90; Australian Aborigines, 90;
sub-Saharan Africans, 75.

Sex differences in intelligence and brain size: a developmental theory.
Intelligence,1999,27,1-12.
Shows that men have higher average IQs than women by about 4 IQ points.

Dysgenics: Genetic Deterioration in Modern Populations. Westport, CT:
Praeger,1996.

Eugenics: A Reassessment. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2001

IQ and the Wealth of Nations (Co-author Tatu Vanhanen, University of
Helsinki)
Westport, CT: Praeger, 2002.

Racial and ethnic differences in psychopathic personality.
Personality and Individual Differences, 2002, 32, 273-316.
Shows that psychopathic personality considered as a dimension of personality
is highest among blacks and Native Americans, next highest in Hispanics,
lower in whites and lowest in Orientals.

(With P.Irwing and T.Cammock) Sex differences in general knowledge.
Intelligence, 2002,30, 27-40.
Examines sex differences in 19 areas of general knowledge and finds women
have more knowledge than men of medicine and cookery, while men have more
knowledge than women of politics, history, geography, sport, finance, and
science. Men have more general knowledge than women.

Skin color and intelligence in African Americans.
Population and Environment, 2002, 23, 365-375.
Presents new evidence showing conclusively for the first time that lighter
skinned blacks have higher IQs than darker skinned blacks. This supports the
theory that the proportion of white ancestry is a determinant of the
intelligence of African Americans.

All material © 2000, 2001,2002  R Lynn