[Paleopsych] So Long, Elevator Friends

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Tue Jul 27 20:24:05 UTC 2004

I'm a frustrated college professor, really. Dissertation politics
prevented my getting one accepted, which I was too naive at the time to
understand and probably too naive today. (Long story here.) So I took a
"temporary" job with the feds and am still here today. This was in 1969. I
was able to get a dissertation accepted, under James M. Buchanan, under
whom I would have written it at U.Va., this time at George Mason in 1985.
But I had a family to support and did not want to start out all over again
as an untenured assistant professor, even if I could have found a job.

ED programs can't work, for a simple metaphysical reason: learning comes
from within, not from without. Also, the lower education programs (those
for higher ed are for student aid) are premised upon egalitarian genetic
assumptions that are unsupported by data-driven arguments. But even if I
did have a way to make them work, I am not important enough to be paid
attention to (Howard will have many explanations for this.)

On 2004-07-27, Steve opined [message unchanged below]: