[Paleopsych] White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Fri Nov 12 00:12:46 UTC 2004

Karen, et al.:

Actually, this idea that the masses want a dunce is a rather old idea,
and fortunately one that has not proven itself. I think we can agree
that our presidents have been remarkable each in his own way, and
criticism of the current one is short-sighted. Mencken was a clever
writer, but not necessarily wise. I say that at the considerable risk of
alienating Frank Foreman, a man of huge intellect.
    Take a look at "Wisdom of Crowds" by Surowicki. He demonstrates that
aggregate wisdom is remarkably accurate. That being said, it may well be
that either would have made a fairly good president, but perhaps it will
turn out that Bush will be somewhat better (1% or 2% better??).
The following is from:  http://www.randomhouse.com/features/wisdomofcrowds/

"No one in this world, so far as I know, has ever lost money by
underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."
-H. L. Mencken

H. L. Mencken was wrong.

In this endlessly fascinating book, New Yorker columnist James
Surowiecki explores a deceptively simple idea that has profound
implications: large groups of people are smarter than an elite few, no
matter how brilliant--better at solving problems, fostering innovation,
coming to wise decisions, even predicting the future.

This seemingly counterintuitive notion has endless and major
ramifications for how businesses operate, how knowledge is advanced, how
economies are (or should be) organized and how we live our daily lives.
With seemingly boundless erudition and in delightfully clear prose,
Surowiecki ranges across fields as diverse as popular culture,
psychology, ant biology, economic behaviorism, artificial intelligence,
military history and political theory to show just how this principle
operates in the real world.

    From a broader perspective, I recommend we look at Appreciative
Inquiry as a model for dealing with this election. AI involves a way of
capturing the wisdom of large groups and transmuting those groups by
coordinated committed action. Check out:
http://appreciativeinquiry.cwru.edu/
and click on the introduction button.

I personally was touched by Kerry's appeal to come together now (quite a
change for me, since I had an irrational and embarassing dislike for the
man) and am going to do all I can to promote that. I believe
passionately in the power of positive visions, and I believe in the
transformational possibilities of seeing our leaders appreciatively. I
ask you to join me in that.

Lynn Johnson
Salt Lake City