[Paleopsych] the resurrection of Sigmund Freud

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 02:49:02 UTC 2004

>From an email conversation with David Smith:

David:  In the realpolitik of academe, at least in the USA, to be associated
with psychoanalysis in any way is often the kiss of death.  The name 'Freud'
still has the power to arouse irrational hatered.
hb: I know and I've shunned Freud and psychoanalysis along with everyone
else.  But we've hit a turning point.  Several years ago, someone with money set
up a group that merges psychoanalysis with neurobiology in New York.  He
managed to lure in two very important figures--Jaak Panksepp and Walter Freeman.  He
apparently did it by paying their expenses to come to NY for one meeting per
month.

Four of the group members, Jaak, Walter, Ziad Nahas, a neural-imaging and
trascranial magnetic stimulation expert, and David Pincus, a psychotherapist with
the sort of barrier-leaping interest you and I share, took advantage of these
trips to come out to the Bloom Brownstone one by one and meet with me.

Then, roughly a year ago, The Scientific American gave its blessing to the
new merger of psychoanalysis and neurobiology by writing a reappraisal of Freud.
 The reappraisal said that neurobiology has done what Freud wanted to do when
he still aimed at a career in the neurobiology of his day.  Freud had seen
things in the mind that neurobiologists were now confirming.

You are much more involved in the academic community than I am.  But, as I
said before, I think that psychoanalysis is making a comeback.  And so is Siggy
Freud.  Howard

----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York University; Core
Faculty Member, The Graduate Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder: International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society, Academy
of Political Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org; executive
editor -- New Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big Bang
to the 21st Century, see www.howardbloom.net