[Paleopsych] back to the plantation

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 06:23:09 UTC 2004

In a message dated 11/24/2004 7:41:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ff10 at txstate.edu writes:
HB, if you need any research done, I am pretty much free until Saturday......
Hope you are well.... Ive been quite busy for about two months now.... but
during the holidays it slows down for us.....
hb: here's a question still puzzling me for reinventing capitalism.  Is my
hypothesis about the rise of the plantation system correct?  Did monocropping
and the obsession with genetic engineering--or what was called "breeding" at the
time--begin with the tree plantations Henry VIII needed to build the ships
he'd helped invent--Baltic Sea-like cog ships, big-bellied ocean-capable cargo
ships that could be outfitted with dozens of canons and could make the long,
thin, one-cannon war galleys battling in the Mediterranean obsolete?

Had England run low on wood when Henry came up with his naval innovation?
When Henry tossed the church out of the third of England that the Vatican
controlled, when he gave that land to his ambitious, modern friends, and when he
turned these enterpreneurial masters of new estates into a squieroquracy, did he
tell them to raise pine for the hulls of his ships and straight, tall oaks for
his masts?

Did the new obsession with raising--and upgrading--just one crop on a piece
of land lead to similar mono-cropping and gene-enhancing approaches to the
industrial-level farming of sugar and of cotton in the newly discovered
territories of the Caribbean--the West Indies?

Did the tree plantations Henry needed to build his navies lead to the wealth
of plantation clans like the family of my friend and former client Chris
Blackwell in Jamaica?  The Blackwells were once famous for their line of canned and
jarred food products, products that appeared under the name of "Cross and
Blackwell".

Then Chris  took the family fortune and used it to reap and to popularize
another harvest of the Caribbean's English master-and-African-slave
culture--reggae.

Do we owe Bob Marley's mix of the Bible, Haile Selassie, a cargo-cult, and a
magical beat to Henry VIII?

Here are some books that helped me build this hypothesis:

Thomas, K. (1983). Man and the Natural World: A History of The Modern
Sensibility.  New York: Pantheon Books.

I believe it's this book that illustrated how London began to run low on wood
as early as 1150.

A.L. Rowse. The Expansion of Elizabethan England. London: MacMillan, 1955.  A
book that shows Henry turning his back on Europe and looking for an Empire in
the Americas--particularly in the part of America the Spanish didn't want,
North America.  It also shows Henry building the squierocracy and, I believe,
demanding trees.

the ships Henry helped conceived may be in
G.M. Trevelyan, A Shortened History of
England, Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England, 1959
(originally published 1942).

And the obsession of squires--and of just about every other sort of English
person of property--with breeding shows up in, of all places, PG
Wodehouse--especially in Clarence, ninth Earl of Emsworth and his obsession with
pig-breeding and pig gene-tweaking, an obsession that leads to his love for one thing
above all else in the world, the model of porcine perfection, the prize pig know
to Wodehouse readers as the Empress of Blandings.

----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York University; Core
Faculty Member, The Graduate Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder: International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society, Academy
of Political Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org; executive
editor -- New Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big Bang
to the 21st Century, see www.howardbloom.net