[Paleopsych] ivory tower elites

Michael Christopher anonymous_animus at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 18:48:05 UTC 2004

>>My street level knowledge says that some of these
studies are not very scientific. Worse, they are
pseudoscience or mercenary science.<<

--I'd have to do extensive research to decide with
"absolute" certainty which research is right. I know
reality is often counterintuitive and does not conform
to either political side's theories as well as they'd
like. It's possible minimum wage laws hurt workers,
it's also possible that what appears to work in a
think tank study will fail when applied to reality.
Hard to say, without experimenting with the actual
system, and that involves affecting real people.

I worry that the anti-liberal movement is drawing on
theory and ideology more than a street-level
understanding of what life is like for people other
than them. It is the equivalent of the "ivory tower
liberal elite", something conservatives deplore. Being
in a think tank as opposed to an academic
establishment does not mean one is more in touch with
reality, and it is easy for intellectuals of any
political stripe to miss variables that in reality are
crucial.

michael