[Paleopsych] welfare and the meaning of work

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 29 18:26:32 UTC 2004

I did low wage work when I was young and working
my way through school.

The value of such work is that it gives you the
money you need to buy necessities and it provides
an economic base while you are trying to get to
what you really want to do.

I also know that many people in the bottom rungs
have no ambition, and are content just to get by
doing as little as possible.  They make babies that
usually have the same outlook.

Lynn mentioned "Joe and the Volcano" in one of
his posts.  Outside of the jumping scene, my
favorite lines in the movie come from the Eddie
Albert character, when he talks about the fact
that most of the people in this world are asleep.
"For the few who are awake, the world is a fantastic
place."