[Paleopsych] Kerry and Armageddon

Steve shovland at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 12 22:42:33 UTC 2004

I'm not sure that the future depends on a handful
of decisions that we will make in the next year.

More likely it depends on thousands of decisions
that we will make over the course of the next 20
years in response to the changing oil supply
and other factors.

Right now hybrid cars are selling as fast as
they can be built, and I think Ford is licensing the
technology from Toyota.  Someone recently
pointed out that with hybrid cars, you get better
mileage in town than you do on the highway
because of regenerative braking.

I think the choice in the election is in part a
choice between someone who is very rigid and
someone who is more adaptable.  I think
flexibility has a higher survival value.

One of the macro trends I believe in is the
shift from a transportation-intensive to a
communications-intensive culture.

At the moment the US has a communications
backbone so fast that you can send an
entire movie from coast-to-coast in about
2 minutes.  I haven't seen any figures, but
cable modems and dsl are growing rapidly.

Portability of pensions and medical insurance
will make it easier for people to change jobs
and to find something closer to home, reducing
the crazy commutes so many of us endure.

Back home in the midwest I know of organic
farmers who can make money when corn is
$1 a bushel.  Their chemical counterparts
go broke at that price.

Learning how to generate/capture energy
from many sources and integrate them to
meet our needs will be one of the major
growth businesses in the future.

I predict that Dick Cheney will pull his thumb
out of his mouth and his head out of his ass
and decide that our lifestyle is indeed
negotiable, particularly in regard to the
way we routinely waste energy.

I'm not saying that there won't be big bumps.

I think Iraq will convince that we can't secure
our energy future by waging war, and I have
long thought that humanity has collectively
decided to use the Four Horsemen of the
Apocalypse to manage our population.