[Paleopsych] Re: Guardian Special: The World in 2020 (fwd)

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Thu Sep 30 13:40:15 UTC 2004

Are you saying the word dystopia is unfamiliar to you? If so, I'm very
surprised. The OED (2 ed, 1980) gives the first usage, possibly coinage,
to John Stuart Mill in _Hansard Commons_ in 1868. Later quotations are
given from 1952, 1962, 1967, and 1968.

Bentham coined cacotopia as the imagined seat of the worst government in
1818. A kakistocracy, from 1829, is government by the worst, a coinage not
unnoticed when Michael Dukakis was running for the Presidency.

Eutopia, the original spelling of Utopia, comes from Tom More's classic of
1516.

On 2004-09-30, James Guest opined [message unchanged below]: