[Paleopsych] The real point

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Sat Apr 9 16:29:44 UTC 2005

Actually, the real point of SS reform is to make it sustainable when the
outgo vastly exceeds the income. A secondary point is to reduce the
Democratic base by making poor people wealthy. Ironic, isn't it? Wealthy
people vote Republican, in spite of the fact that Republicans have also
horribly mismanaged government spending.

The positive cash flow will run out. The point at which that happens
keeps moving, maybe as soon as 2014, nine years hence. There on, it gets
more and more grim, until finally all the bonds are redeemed and there
aren't enough productive workers to cover social security.

The bonds can only be redeemed by either:
    - reducing other government expenses and transfering the money
    - raising taxes
    - both
None of these involve theft, except to the extent that so-called
entitlement programs are reduced. That constitutes theft if you assume
it is government's job to provide money for people who don't earn it.

Arguably raising taxes involves theft, since it is a forced
confiscation. But I doubt you mean that.