[Paleopsych] Cory Doctorow: Humanist transhumanism: Citizen Cyborg

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Tue Apr 12 19:52:08 UTC 2005

Cory Doctorow: Humanist transhumanism: Citizen Cyborg
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/04/11/humanist_transhumani.html
Monday, April 11, 2005

I've just finished a review copy of James Hughes's "Citizen Cyborg: Why
Democratic Societies Must respond to the Redesigned Human of the Future."
I was skeptical when this one arrived, since I've read any number of
utopian wanks on the future of humanity and the inevitable withering away
of the state into utopian anarchism fueled by the triumph of superior
technology over inferior laws.

But Hughes's work is much subtler and more nuanced than that, and was
genuinely surprising, engaging and engrossing.

A couple years ago, my friend John Gilmore -- who advocates for marijuana
law reform -- introduced me to the idea of "cognitive liberty," the
freedom to choose your state of mind. The cognitive liberty cause
encompasses the movements to legalize "recreational" drugs and to limit
the power of the state to subject "mentally ill" people to involuntary
pharmaceutical therapy (and, when it is still practiced, involuntary
physical therapies such as lobotomies and electroshock).

Cognitive liberty resonates strongly for me. Like other forms of personal
liberty, it is not without its perils -- when friends of mine were
involuntarily medicated during acute incidents of schizophrenia, mania or
depression, the interventions seemed like a good trade-off at the time
(rampaging, irrational, out of control friends who are treated with meds
that make them capable of reasoning with those around them are good poster
children for "cognitive coercion"), and friends who've fallen down the
well of addiction and ended up with ruined lives or even lives cut short
are a strong warning against unbridled cognitive liberty.

But then there are friends whose touch of madness sends them on flights of
brilliance, friends whose casual glass of wine, joint or hallucinogen use
have made them happier, better adjusted, and more creative and fulfilled.
What's more, my friends who've ODed, been committed, or who live with
addiction haven't been helped by prohibition -- far from it. Some are in
jail, some are medicated insensible, some are living lives of dangerous
poverty.

The idea of cognitive liberty is very tempting, but I have an instinct
that there's an approach to it that is grounded not in libertarianism, but
in Canadian/European-style social democracy.

"Citizen Cyborg" takes the social democratic approach not just to
cognitive liberty, but to the parcel of questions that follow on from it
as technology allows us to charge our minds and bodies. When we can choose
our children's' sex, modify our genomes to eliminate some forms of mental
and physical disability, when we can modify our bodies and minds to
improve them beyond the normal human baseline , when we can even use
technology to make dolphins and great apes as smart as precocious
children, what then?

Surely the ability to determine your own genome, the ability to choose to
modify your physical self and to make the choices for your children are as
fundamental civil liberties as the right to speak and assemble and
otherwise author your own destiny.

But the traditional "transhumanist" movement has come out of the
libertarian right, advocates of an unbridled market without government
intervention. And much of the opposition to transhumanism hasn't just come
from the religious right, but from the left, too -- lefties who see
transhumanism as likely to produce a troubling, divisive caste system, or
to make us all beholden to corporate interests like Monsanto who bind us
to subscribing to patented GM lifeforms that we require to sustain our
lifestyles.

Hughes's remarkable achievement in "Citizen Cyborg" is the fusion of
social democratic ideals of tempered, reasoned state intervention to
promote equality of opportunity with the ideal of self-determination
inherent in transhumanism. Transhumanism, Hughes convincingly argues, is
the sequel to humanism, and to feminism, to the movements for racial and
gender equality, for the fight for queer and transgender rights -- if you
support the right to determine what consenting adults can do with their
bodies in the bedroom, why not in the operating theatre?

Much of this book is taken up with scathing rebuttal to the enemies of
transhumanism -- Christian lifestyle conservatives who've fought against
abortion, stem-cell research and gay marriage; as well as deep
ecologist/secular lefty intelligentsia who fear the commodification of
human life. He dismisses the former as superstitious religious thugs who,
a few generations back, would happily decry the "unnatural" sin of
miscegenation; to the latter, he says, "You are willing to solve the
problems of labor-automation with laws that ensure a fair shake for
working people -- why not afford the same chance to life-improving
techno-medicine?"

The humanist transhuman is a political stance I'd never imagined, but
having read "Citizen Cyborg," it seems obvious and natural. Like a lot of
basically lefty geeks, I've often felt like many of my ideals were at odds
with both the traditional left and the largely right-wing libertarians.
"Citizen Cyborg" squares the circle, suggest a middle-path between them
that stands foursquare for the improvement of the human condition through
technology but is likewise not squeamish about advocating for rules, laws
and systems that extend a fair opportunity to those less fortunate (say,
by offering special patent rules to the developing world allowing poor
nations' scientists to freely reuse the patented pharmaceutical inventions
of the rich north to solve local needs.)

Hughes is a Buddhist whose children struggle with genetically-influenced
disorders like ADD and Tourette's, and his life seems much taken-up with
the cause of transhumanist humanism. He is the executive director of the
World Transumanist Association, and he teaches health policy at Hartford,
CT's Trinity College. The work is sprinkled with references to science
fiction and is very concerned with the way that transhumanist ideas were
prefigured in the genre and have leaked back into modern sf. I don't know
that he's convinced me to become a transhumanist activist -- I feel like
the work I do with EFF works to safeguard a lot of rights dear to the
transhumanist heart anyway -- but the analytical tools this book has
provided me with have made me re-examine my own political identity. Book
Link, References Link

posted by Cory Doctorow at 09:23:22 AM permalink | Other blogs commenting
on this post