[Paleopsych] SciAm: Okay, We Give Up

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Tue Apr 12 19:57:09 UTC 2005

Okay, We Give Up
Editorial Page of Scientific American, issue dated 4-1-05

There’s no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter writers told
us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and politics don’t
mix. They said we should be more balanced in our presentation of such
issues as creationism, missile defense and global warming. We resisted
their advice and pretended not to be stung by the accusations that the
magazine should be renamed Unscientific American, or Scientific
Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But spring is in the air, and
all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so there’s no better time to
say: you were right, and we were wrong.

In retrospect, this magazine’s coverage of so-called evolution has been
hideously one-sided. For decades, we published articles in every issue
that endorsed the ideas of Charles Darwin and his cronies. True, the
theory of common descent through natural selection has been called the
unifying concept for all of biology and one of the greatest scientific
ideas of all time, but that was no excuse to be fanatics about it.

Where were the answering articles presenting the powerful case for
scientific creationism? Why were we so unwilling to suggest that dinosaurs
lived 6,000 years ago or that a cataclysmic flood carved the Grand Canyon?
Blame the scientists. They dazzled us with their fancy fossils, their
radiocarbon dating and their tens of thousands of peer-reviewed journal
articles. As editors, we had no business being persuaded by mountains of
evidence.

Moreover, we shamefully mistreated the Intelligent Design (ID) theorists
by lumping them in with creationists. Creationists believe that God
designed all life, and that’s a somewhat religious idea. But ID theorists
think that at unspecified times some unnamed superpowerful entity designed
life, or maybe just some species, or maybe just some of the stuff in
cells. That’s what makes ID a superior scientific theory: it doesn’t get
bogged down in details.

Good journalism values balance above all else. We owe it to our readers to
present everybody’s ideas equally and not to ignore or discredit theories
simply because they lack scientifically credible arguments or facts. Nor
should we succumb to the easy mistake of thinking that scientists
understand their fields better than, say, U.S. senators or best-selling
novelists do. Indeed, if politicians or special-interest groups say things
that seem untrue or misleading, our duty as journalists is to quote them
without comment or contradiction. To do otherwise would be elitist and
therefore wrong. In that spirit, we will end the practice of expressing
our own views in this space: an editorial page is no place for opinions.

Get ready for a new Scientific American. No more discussions of how
science should inform policy. If the government commits blindly to
building an anti-ICBM defense system that can’t work as promised, that
will waste tens of billions of taxpayers’ dollars and imperil national
security, you won’t hear about it from us. If studies suggest that the
administration’s antipollution measures would actually increase the
dangerous particulates that people breathe during the next two decades,
that’s not our concern. No more discussions of how policies affect science
either—so what if the budget for the National Science Foundation is
slashed? This magazine will be dedicated purely to science, fair and
balanced science, and not just the science that scientists say is science.

Okay, We Give Up

MATT COLLINS
THE EDITORS editors at sciam.com