[Paleopsych] Auster: How Liberal Christianity Promotes Open Borders and One-Worldism

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Thu Apr 14 13:48:36 UTC 2005

How Liberal Christianity Promotes Open Borders and One-Worldism
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=16157
4.12.3 [Part 2 of 2 appended]

[He makes a very good point, namely that if you don't treat god as the
Other, you can wind up treating peoples and civilizations very different
from your own as the Other. I've gotten used to appeals for a return to
true Christianity of the "this is how I want the world to be" sort without
producing any evidence even for the existence of god. My own gloss on
Christianity, and Judaism, for that matter, is that God is a liberal. He
created the world and gave humanity rules to live by, which they promptly
disobeyed. God kept making covenants and people kept failing to live up to
them. God constantly overestimate human nature, as liberals to. By the
time of the Roman Empire, God got so fed up with His creation that He
decided to do away with Heaven and Earth (but not Hell) completely. Being
merciful as well as just, He offered escape from Hell to those who would
accept the offer, namely to ask His son for forgiveness. It seems that God
is not obliged to carry out this promise (the doctrine of Grace) and it's
unclear what else needs to be done (the doctrine of Works). God remains a
liberal still: in the next to the last chapter of the Bible, God promises
a second Heaven and a second Earth. What's new to me is Auster's emphasis
on what I overlooked, namely that there will be individual nations on the
second Earth. I am still concerned with the tiny matter of evidence,
though.]

                             By [1]Lawrence Auster

     According to historian Arnold Toynbee, civilizations grow and survive
     by overcoming successive challenges, and break down when they fail to
     meet some new challenge. With regard to mass non-European immigration
     and its attendant problems of multiculturalism, Islamization, and
     globalism, America and other Western nations face a challenge unique
     in history: to save ourselves from open-borders chaos and cultural
     destruction without becoming, in our own eyes, "racist," "mean,"
     "exclusivist," and "un-Christian." This is a moral and intellectual
     dilemma that most contemporary Westernersif we bother thinking about
     it at allfind paralyzing. Unable to solve it, we have opted for a
     state of active or passive surrendera condition from which we are only
     intermittently stirred by shocking acts of violence such as the
     September 11 attack on America or the jihadist slaughter of Dutch
     filmmaker Theo van Gogh.

     In fact, the moral dilemma described above is illusory. It is based on
     the false premise, unique to Western and especially modern Western
     society, that to preserve one's own nation or culture is somehow to be
     unjust toward other nations and cultures. Whenever this sentiment has
     gained ascendancy, as under the influence of ancient Stoicism or of
     modern leftism, it has led men to believe that the only just social
     order is a world state, in which there is no Other because everyone
     belongs to the same society. The problem with this idea is that a
     world state can only exist by depriving individual nations of their
     right of self-government, indeed of their existence, and by subjecting
     all mankind to the rule of a distant and unaccountable regime.
     Therefore, based on all our experience of politics and human nature, a
     world state could not be just either. Traditional Christianity
     resolved, or at least managed, this conflict between the particular
     and the universal by locating true universality in the City of God,
     while recognizing the limited but real value of distinct societies on
     earth.^

     But a moral tension that remains manageable so long as different
     peoples with their respective cultures are living in different
     societies, becomes insoluble when radically different peoples and
     cultures are living in the same society, especially if it is a
     democracy. If a democratic country has a large and culturally
     different immigrant minority, the native majority cannot readily
     announce that they are against the continuation of more immigration,
     because if they did so, the immigrant group, who are now the
     majority's fellow citizens, would feel that the natives regard them as
     undesirable. As civilized, democratic people, the native majority do
     not want to insult the immigrant minority, or to deny their equal
     humanity, or to create even the slightest appearance of doing those
     things. So instead theymeaning wesurrender to the situation, accept
     continued mass immigration, and allow their country to be steadily
     transformed by an ongoing influx of unassimilated peoples and
     incompatible cultures.

     Our challengethe Toynbean challenge we must meet if we are to save our
     civilizationis to understand that the moral assumptions that have led
     us into this paralysis are false, and to break free of them. But this
     is extraordinarily difficult for us to do, because these assumptions,
     which are liberal assumptions, have over the past century become
     closely bound up with the Christian religion, the spiritual core of
     Western culture and identity. To work our way out of the present
     crisis, therefore, it will be necessary to criticize certain aspects
     of modern Christianity. This may offend some readers, particularly
     Christian conservatives who have come to identify Christian belief
     with American political virtue itself.

     The problem would be lessened if people understood that Christianity
     is not a governing ideology, and that it is distorted when seen as
     such. The path and goal of Christianity is life in Christ, not the
     organization of society according to any particular scheme. Over the
     last two thousand years, Christianity has been compatible with any
     number of political forms, ranging from the Roman empire to medieval
     feudalism to modern democracy, so long as they have been reasonably
     benign and compatible with a Christian life. And here lies the
     paradox: though Christian faith is the center of the West's historic
     being, it cannot by itself provide the enduring structure of Western
     society or of any other concrete society. As indicated by Jesus in his
     distinction between the things of Caesar and the things of God,
     religious faith must work in a proper balance with worldly
     concernsamong which are considerations of political power and of
     culture. The balance is delicate and many things can go wrong with the
     spiritual-secular partnership. For example, if the Christian community
     breaks free of the surrounding earthly society and ignores the
     ordinary dictates of political prudence, or if it becomes corrupted by
     bad ideas emanating from the society itself, such as those of modern
     liberalism, it can become destructive of the surrounding society and
     culture. It can easily spin off into utopian universalist notions,
     such as the open-borders ideology, that spell the death of any
     culture.

     In the remainder of this article, we will first recount the process by
     which Christianity has become liberalized. Then we will look at the
     doctrines, particularly the "cult of man," that define this
     liberalized Christianity and help engender the cultural radicalism
     that so threatens our society. Finally we will consider the role this
     liberalized Christianity has played in advancing open immigration and
     one-worldism, especially through its literalist reading of the
     Scriptures.

Confused Christianity

     When the liberal order was born in the seventeenth and eighteenth
     centuries, it did not immediately appear, at least in America, as a
     social force hostile to religion. Far from attacking or banning
     religion, liberalism marked out a religiously neutral public space
     where religious conformity would not be demanded and a person's
     religion could not be used against him. The various Protestant
     denominations plus Catholicism and Judaism were tolerated, and a
     genericand rather strictProtestant morality was authoritative
     throughout the society. In his journey through America in the 1830s,
     Toqueville was deeply impressed at how in America, more than in any
     other country in history, religion and liberty worked in harmony.

     But over the past two centuries, as the demand for individual freedom
     has become ever more insistent and far-reaching, the respect accorded
     religion and religious morality in American public life has steadily
     diminished, a process that has reached an extreme stage in recent
     years. Education, the arts, entertainment, architecture, public
     monuments, and many other areas of society in which religion was once
     honored or deferred to, or which were at least open to a religious
     sense of life, have become thoroughly secularized, as has the
     Christmas holiday itself. For the first time in American history,
     prominent individuals and established political movements, not to
     mention many movies and television programs, are openly atheistic and
     hostile to religion, seeking, in the name of liberal tolerance, to
     drive religion out of the public sphere altogether. Or, to be more
     precise, they seek to drive Christianity out of the public sphere,
     while welcoming non-Western religions such as Islam. The only
     Christianity tolerated by these left-liberals is a desiccated
     Christianity that keeps up the external forms and formulae of the
     faith but no longer adheres seriously to any Christian beliefs that
     are distinct from those of liberalism. Even conservative Christian
     leaders have given up the traditional idea of America as a basically
     Christian society and now subscribe to the liberal view of America as
     a level playing field where different beliefs, including non-Western
     beliefs, can strive for influence.

     The effects of this leftward drift on the mainline Protestant churches
     and on significant parts of the American Catholic Church have been
     profound. No longer looking for the meaning of life in God and Christ,
     but in the celebration and achievement of human rights and
     equality,or, rather, defining God and Christ in terms of human rights
     and equalitythese liberal Christians tend to look at every issue
     through the lens of social justice, one-worldism, and U.S. guilt, and
     are deeply committed to diversity, multiculturalism, and open borders.
     The liberal belief in the equal freedom of all human beings as the
     primary political and spiritual datum leads inexorably to the idea
     that our nation should open itself indiscriminately to all humanity.
     President Bush's proposal to give a green card to every person on
     earth who can underbid an American for a job is an example of this
     utopian attitude, and is plainly motivated, at least in part, by the
     liberal evangelicalism to which he subscribes.

The Church and the cult of man

     In America, as we've said, a moderate liberalism that deferred to
     Christianity gradually became more secular and radical over time and
     brought much of the Church along with it. In Europe, by contrast, the
     left was in open rebellion against Christianity from the eighteenth
     century onward, seeking to create a new, materialistic society in
     which all human needs would be met without reference to anything
     higher than man. Catholic Popes thundered against these developments.
     Pope Pius X declared in 1903: "[W]ith unlimited boldness man has put
     himself in the place of God, exalting himself above all that is called
     God. He has ... made the world a temple in which he himself is to be
     adored ... "(1)  The Church was fighting a losing battle, however.
     With the ever-advancing march of secularization and the seeming
     triumph of human technological power over nature, the belief in man's
     spiritual and material autonomy had become so well-established by the
     mid-twentieth century that the Church felt it had to adjust itself to
     these new developments instead of condemning them.

     This momentous event was announced by Pope Paul VI in his closing
     speech at the Second Vatican Council, in December 1965. The Council,
     the Pope declared, had not been content to reflect on the relations
     that unite her to God.

     [The Church] was also much concerned with man, with man as he really
     is today, with living man, with man totally taken up with himself,
     with man who not only makes himself the center of his own interests,
     but who dares to claim that he is the principle and [the] final cause
     of all reality. Man in his phenomenal totality ... presented himself,
     as it were, before the assembly of the Council Fathers.... The
     religion of God made man has come up against the religionfor there is
     such a oneof man who makes himself God.^ [Emphasis added.]

     And how did the Council respond to this heretical specter of godless,
     secular man, of "man who makes himself God"? Far from condemning this
     monstrous falsehood and asserting the superior claims of the Christian
     faith, the Council, said the Pope,^

     was filled only with an endless sympathy. The discovery of human
     needsand these are so much greater now that the son of the earth has
     made himself greaterabsorbed the attention of the Synod.... [W]e also,
     we more than anyone else, have the cult of man...^

     A current of affection and admiration overflowed from the Council over
     the modern world of man ... [The Catholic religion] proclaims itself
     to be entirely in the service of man's well-being. The Catholic
     religion and life itself thus reaffirm their alliance, their
     convergence on a single human reality: the Catholic faith exists for
     humanity ...^ [Emphasis added.]

     Thus, alongside God, the Church seemed to have added a second Lord,
     man, with everything ultimately focusing on man instead of God.(2) In
     so doing, the Church adopted the very heresy of modernism that Pope
     Pius X had warned against sixty years earlier.

     Pope John Paul II, a twentieth century Christian humanist who is
     mistakenly believed by many to be a staunch traditionalist, fully
     subscribed to the Vatican II doctrine, having been one of its leading
     framers. In his first encyclical after becoming Pope in 1978, he
     declared that human nature has been permanently "divinized" by the
     advent of Christa startling departure from traditional Christian
     understandings of the distinction between God and man. He has
     repeatedly put man on a pedestal, as when he spoke of his "gratitude
     and joy at the incomparable dignity of man." While in keeping with the
     spirit of Vatican II, this extravagant praise of man is very far from
     the language we would expect to hear from traditional Catholics or
     Protestants, who adhere to the Augustinian belief in man's basic
     sinfulness and his continuing need for God's mercy.

     Under the post-Vatican II Popes, including John Paul II, the cult of
     man has worked itself into the body and practice of the Church. In
     place of the Creed, which begins, "I believe in God, the Father
     Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth," a diocese in France sings a hymn
     that begins: "I believe in God who believes in Man." In another
     diocese, instead of the Creed a poem is read which begins:^

     I believe in meson of an almighty Father,
     creator with him of a more human world...
     I believe in me because he believed in me ...

     Equally important in lowering Christianity toward the human level are
     the radical liturgical changes that were initiated in the 1960s. In
     the traditional Eucharistic service, the priest faces away from the
     congregation, toward the altar, toward God, so that both congregants
     and priest are communing with God. In the New Mass, the priest faces
     the congregation as he consecrates the host and chews it in the sight
     of all. This democratization of the Liturgy of the Eucharist destroys
     its sacramental nature, turning it into a celebration of human,
     instead of divine, community. And, of course, in many Catholic and
     Protestant churches in the United States, folk songs, "singalongs,"
     electronically amplified contemporary music, and other pop culture
     manifestations have replaced sacred music and liturgy.^

Cultural radicalism and the cult of man

     Some readers, especially those who are not religious, may wonder what
     all the fuss is about. Why is the cult of man a problem, they may ask.
     Why is it a bad thing to make humanity the ultimate focus of our
     religious as well as of our secular concerns? What harm does it do if
     we honor "man who makes himself god," and so free ourselves from the
     weight of the traditional, judgmental God hanging over us? My answer
     is that the cult of man is harmful because it does not (as it promises
     to do) ennoble human beings, but degrades them. It is, in fact, a
     principal source of the cultural radicalism that is dragging down our
     whole society and making it incapable of defend itself from evil and
     from enemies. Three aspects of this cultural radicalism are relevant
     here: moral liberationism, cultural egalitarianism, and the worship of
     the Other.

     - Moral liberationism

     From the traditional Christian perspective, God is our father, as well
     as the archetypal "father figure," the source and structuring
     principle of our existence. Other and lesser "father figures" include
     our country, our culture, our government and laws, even the laws of
     nature. These are the biological, cultural, and spiritual givens of
     our existence. They place limits on what we can be, even as they
     provide us with the very world in which we can live and realize
     ourselves. To put man in the place of God implies a rebellion, not
     just against God as traditionally understood, but against all "father
     figures" and the structuring order of reality that they represent. If
     there no reality higher than ourselves, then there is nothing
     preventing us from releasing our lowest tendencies.

     Thus the humanistic distortion of religion is only one part of the
     picture I am describing. The rebellious cult of man may begin with the
     denial of God's supremacy, but it doesn't end there. It ends with the
     denial of all things higher than human desirelaw, morality, culture,
     nation, and even nature itself.

     - Cultural equality and the double standard

     Another consequence of the cult of man is radical egalitarianism,
     particularly in the area of culture. If there is no truth higher than
     humanity, then there is no objective basis on which to determine the
     relative value of various human things. All human thingsall
     culturesmust be of innately equal value. But if all cultures are of
     innately equal value, how then can we explain the persistently
     backward state of some cultures? At bottom, there is only one answer
     to that question: the backward cultures must have been artificially
     placed in their inferior situation by the better-off and more powerful
     cultures, namely our own.

     Thus the denial of higher truth makes all things seem equal, which in
     turn requires an explanation for why things are not actually equal,
     which in turn leads to a belief in some all-pervading oppression to
     account for the actually existing inequalitiesan oppression that is
     always blamed on the West, or America, or Christianity, or capitalism,
     or the white race, or white men, or the patriarchal family, or George
     Bush, or what have you. And the attack on the West does not end there.
     Since the less advanced condition of certain other peoples and
     cultures is our fault, we must, in order to raise them up, excuse them
     from normal standards while subjecting ourselves to the harshest
     standards. This is the [3]leftist double standard, of which I've
     written about previously at FrontPage Magazine.

     - Worship of the Other

     Finally, and most dangerously, the cult of man leads us, not just to
     put down our own culture and sympathize inordinately with other
     cultures, but to worship other cultures. Again, we need to think about
     why this is so.

     Central to Western culture, in both its Jewish-Christian and its
     Greco-Roman forms, is the experience of God or truth as transcendent,
     beyond the material, beyond man. A similar experience is central to
     other cultures. Man partakes of, and is perfected by, a truth whose
     source lies beyond himself. If we lose or reject this experience of
     transcendence and start to glorify human rights and human desires as
     our highest value (an attitude that the ancient Greeks would call
     hubris and that traditional Christians and Jews would call idolatry),
     we will still feel the need for the divine quality of "beyondness,"
     but, since man has now become for us the highest value, we will
     inevitably begin to seek that quality in human beings.

     But what quality do human beings have that can stand in for God's
     transcendence, his quality as beyond and wholly other? Simply this,
     that other human beings are other and different from us. If we combine
     this divinization of man (which is already harmful enough) with the
     liberal belief in the equal freedom of all persons, or, even worse, if
     we combine it with leftist notions of Western guilt and multicultural
     equality, then the more "Other" the others are,that is, the more
     different, foreign, alien, incomprehensible, or even dangerous and
     evil they arethe more "transcendent" they will seem to us, and the
     more we will worship them. In the most extreme form of this attitude
     (though it is terribly common today), secular or Christian liberals
     laud a terrorist murderer like Yasser Arafat and cast a sacred glow
     around everything connected with Islam, while reviling conservative
     Christians as a monstrous threat, simply because Arafat and Islam are
     radically Other from America and therefore seem to stand beyond the
     suffocating confines of our radically secularized society.

     To put this idea another way, as human beings we are free to deny God,
     but we are not free to do away with our need (because it is built into
     our nature) for something that is beyond us, that transcends us and
     provides the meaning of our existence. So, when people deny God, who
     is, as it were, the "vertical" transcendent, they start to look for a
     "horizontal" transcendent as a substitute. This horizontal
     transcendent is, pre-eminently, other people. Furthermore, as I said,
     since God is that which is most Other from ourselves, the more
     different other people are from us, the more they seem like God or
     fulfill the function of God in our psyches. Thus the worship of man
     devolves into the worship of other men, other cultures, other peoples,
     combined with a contempt for our own. This is the mystical cult of
     multiculturalismthe uncritical identification with the Other, whoever
     the Other may happen to be.

Liberal fundamentalism

     For Catholics, the ultimate authority for the idea of unconditional
     openness to foreigners is the pronouncements of Pope and the Church
     hierarchy. For liberal Protestants, it is the Bible, namely a
     literalist interpretation of certain scriptural passages. One of the
     most important of these is Jesus' parable of the Final Judgment in the
     25th chapter of the Gospel of Matthew, when the Son of man comes and
     gathers all nations before him:

     Then shall the king say to those who are on his right: Come, you who
     are the blessed of my father, inherit the kingdom which has been made
     ready for you from the beginning of the world. For I was hungry and
     you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me to drink, I was a stranger
     and you took me in, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you
     visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.

     When the just people ask when they did these things, he answers:^

     Truly I tell you, inasmuch as you have done it for any one of the
     least of these my brothers, you have done it for me.

     As author and immigration reformer Roy Beck has pointed out, a
     literalist reading of this parable gives Protestants the idea that
     every prospective immigrant to Americaindeed every needy person in the
     worldis, literally, Jesus. I myself have seen evangelicals who, on
     hearing arguments for reasonable immigration controls, replied: "Would
     you turn away Jesus if he was at the border?" The notion that everyone
     trying to get into America is Jesus obligates Christians on pain of
     hell to give every prospective immigrant what he wants, or rather to
     get the U.S. government and taxpayers to give him what he wants, even
     though the great majority of immigrants come here not because of
     persecution or misfortune but simply because they desire the greater
     opportunities (and the cornucopia of government benefits) available to
     them here.

     The parable of Matthew 25, like other difficult passages in the Old
     and New Testaments, becomes grotesque if taken in a literal sense,
     without reference to the full context of meaning in which it appears.
     For example, Jesus is certainly not telling his disciples to help
     law-breakers, yet liberal Christians take his words as a command to
     harbor illegal aliensand not just an occasional illegal alien, but an
     ongoing mass invasion of them. Jesus is also not telling his followers
     to use the government to advance their ends. The Gospels show the way
     to eternal life in God through Christ. The supreme commandment is love
     of God and neighbor. Such love is intrinsically a voluntary,
     individual act, or the act of a cohesive group of believers, as when,
     for example, a congregation votes to send money to fellow Christians
     who have been devastated by a natural disaster. But what today's
     liberal Christians find in the Gospels is a political platform.
     Instead of minding their own business and practicing charity to their
     neighbor, they want to use the power of the state to compel their
     fellow citizens to hand over their country to foreigners, foreign
     cultures, and foreign religionsincluding religions and cultures that
     seek the destruction of Christianity and the West.

     Another of the liberals' favorite biblical passages is God's command
     in Leviticus 19 concerning the proper treatment of foreigners:

     When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him
     wrong. But the stranger who sojourns with you shall be to you as one
     born among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were
     strangers in the land of Egypt.

     While liberals have often quoted this passage to provide support for
     an open borders policy, it has little to do with immigration. The text
     refers to one who "sojourns," meaning a temporary resident in the
     land, not an immigrant. It is telling us to treat such a stranger as a
     fellow human being, not to vex or persecute him. It is most decidedly
     not telling us to open our borders to a mass immigration of such
     strangers, so that they can change our society from what it is into
     something else. If you, taking a literalist approach, believe that it
     is telling us that, then you must also believe that Jesus' command,
     "Give to him who asks of you," means that we should instantly hand
     over our entire national product to leftist international
     organizations who are demanding the global equalization of wealth and
     income.

     But what about that commandwhich we can't get away fromto "love the
     stranger as yourself"? The main Gospel authority concerning love of
     others is the passage in Matthew where Jesus, asked what is the
     greatest commandment, quotes two verses from the Torah: "You shall
     love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,
     and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And a
     second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt
     22:37-39.) The key to understanding this teaching is that love of God
     comes first. It is the love of God that disciplines us toward the good
     and restrains our self-aggrandizing impulses, including the impulse to
     display conspicuous compassion for others. An unconditional love of
     neighbor apart from love of God would lead us to mad acts of
     do-gooderism or self-sacrifice.

     To this, a liberal literalist might say that since the first
     commandment is to love God with our whole heart, soul, and mind; and
     since the second commandment is to love our neighbor as ourselves; and
     since the second command is "like the first," therefore we're supposed
     to love our neighbor just as we're supposed to love
     Godunconditionally, with our whole heart, soul, and mind. In reality,
     Jesus tells his followers to love the neighbor as one loves oneself,
     not as one loves God. It would be an absurdity to say that God wants
     us to love ourselves unconditionally, with our whole heart, soul, and
     mind. Therefore we are not to love our neighbor that way either. We
     are commanded to love and follow God, and once we do that, we will
     feel and behave rightly toward ourselves and our neighbor as well.

     Ironically, the very words, "you shall love him as yourself," which
     liberals take as commanding unconditional love for the Other, back up
     my narrower interpretation. Since it is only possible, at best, to
     love one person or a few people as one loves oneself, not an entire
     populace or the entire human race, the passage must be referring to a
     voluntary, personal relationship, not to some politically coerced
     process of national self-sacrifice.

     Furthermore, as the Bible states over and over, God wants mankind to
     exist in separate nations. Deuteronomy 32:8 says: "When the Most High
     gave to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of
     men, he fixed the bounds of the peoples ..." Acts 17:26-27 says that
     God sets "boundaries of their habitation" for every nation of mankind.
     The Old Testament is filled with admonitions to the Israelites to make
     distinctions between themselves and strangers. The most extreme
     instance is in the book of Ezra, Chapters 10 and 11, where the Jews
     are commanded to disown their non-Jewish wives and children in order
     to preserve the ethnic purity of the Jewish people (which if they
     hadn't done, by the way, the Jewish people would have gone out of
     existence, and there would have been no Jewish people for Jesus to be
     born into, and there would have been no Christianity). When so much in
     the Bible counsels national and ethnic exclusiveness, it is dishonest
     to take isolated scriptural passages as a mandate for open borders.