[Paleopsych] Slate: William Saletan: Drugstore Cowboys: The strange timidity of liberal bioethics

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Thu Apr 14 14:22:29 UTC 2005

William Saletan: Drugstore Cowboys: The strange timidity of liberal
bioethics
http://slate.msn.com/id/2116141/ et seq.
Posted Monday, April 4, 2005, at 12:09 AM PT

    Mike Gazzaniga taps a button, and five faces appear on the projection
    screen. Gazzaniga, a member of the President's Council on Bioethics,
    is keynoting a national bioethics convention at the University of
    Pennsylvania. One face on the screen belongs to the council's
    chairman, [23]Leon Kass. Another belongs to the director of Penn's
    Center for Bioethics, [24]Art Caplan. They represent, respectively,
    the conservative and liberal camps of American bioethics, which have
    been swept up in the larger war between Democrats and Republicans. A
    third face on the screen catches my eye: Pope John Paul II. The
    caption asks: "The pope, the rabbi, the scientist, and the
    bioethicist: who do you believe?"

    Four weeks ago, I was at a [25]very different bioethics conference in
    Rome. The speakers and attendees, mostly Catholic and conservative,
    were groping for a way to stop the oncoming train of
    embryo-destructive medical research. Their leader, John Paul, was
    dying of Parkinson's, one of the diseases such research would most
    plausibly have cured. As Gazzaniga speaks in Philadelphia on Friday
    morning, John Paul is in his last hours of life.

    The men onstage in Philadelphia, the liberals of bioethics, believe
    they are the future. They see the age of human self-transformation
    unfolding. Unlike the Luddites in Rome and Washington, they work with
    agencies and companies leading the revolution. Two of the conference's
    five underwriting sponsors are [26]pharmaceutical firms. The speakers
    in Philadelphia know the latest technologies: artificial eyes, memory
    detectors, implants that let you move a cursor just by willing it.
    They're armed with sci-fi icons: Jean-Luc Picard, The Terminator,
    Minority Report. They quote Freud and Lacan. They wear goatees,
    corduroys, funky blazers, designer frames. Some preach drug freedom.
    Others tell sex jokes.

    Gazzaniga, balding with a white fringe, is no hipster. But his
    proposal is brilliantly audacious: to turn bioethics inside out. Kass,
    the pope, and President Bush have been trying to restrict
    embryo-destructive research based on their versions of the ethics of
    biology. Gazzaniga wants to trump them with the biology of ethics. He
    clicks through studies and brain scans showing what he calls
    "emotional interference in moral reasoning." Unlike the chimp brain,
    the human brain is constantly "trying to figure out life's pattern,"
    he says. We rebel impulsively against harm to another person or to a
    fetus that looks like a baby. Only afterward do we "develop a theory"
    that translates that impulse into a principle. The independence of the
    principle is an illusion.

    Half an hour later, Greg Pence, a sleepy-eyed philosopher from the
    University of Alabama, administers a 15-minute bitch-slap to biotech
    critics. All medical progress has been opposed by religion, he says,
    and all opposition to biotechnology is religious. Anyone who denies
    this is just covering it up. All that crap about nature and
    authenticity is a ruse to control other people, and anyone who gives
    in to it is a sissy. We're "becoming bioethics wimps," he tells the
    assembled students. We've lost the "courage" to experiment on
    ourselves and make better babies.

    Something about Pence's tough-guy act sets off my B.S. detector. He
    says once you realize that human enhancement isn't intrinsically evil,
    "all the other questions are just how-to questions"--who goes first,
    who decides, how to do it safely, how to fund it. It's all just
    "calculation and adjustment," he says. Where's the courage in that? It
    sounds like accounting. In Pence's world, courage is for scientists.
    The bioethicists are the wimps. This becomes the pattern of the
    morning: To many of the liberals, bioethics is all about what we can't
    do. We can't draw lines between therapy and enhancement. We can't
    restrict a new technology, because we've already accepted an old
    technology it resembles. We can't defy scientists and industry,
    because they won't take us seriously. John Paul stood up to communism.
    These guys won't even stand up to Merck.

    Gazzaniga's argument would completely neuter the field. If biology
    explains ethics, how can ethics judge manipulations of biology?
    Gazzaniga thinks rules will remain: "It is not a good idea to kill
    because it is not a good idea to kill," he says. But what happens when
    the military figures out how to adjust brain chemistry so that
    soldiers think it is a good idea to kill? Change the biology, and
    you've changed the ethics. Gazzaniga says studies show a global
    consensus on right and wrong. But in the same speech, he ridicules the
    belief that an early human embryo is sacred. That belief is the basis
    on which Bush has restricted funding of embryonic stem cell research.
    Is it a product of Bush's biology? If so, how can Gazzaniga complain?
    And why should we care whether Gazzaniga's morality--his
    brain--differs from Bush's?

    I saw fiercer arguments among priests in Rome than I see here among
    the pluralists. On the screen, Gazzaniga projects a photo of Colin
    Powell next to a white dot representing an early embryo. He derides
    the idea that anyone could morally equate the dot with the person. He
    calls the dot a "hunk of cells" and says he'd be happy to harvest
    them. What about the embryo's potential to become a person? Gazzaniga
    shrugs that a Home Depot has the potential to make 30 houses, but if a
    Home Depot burns down, it isn't as though 30 houses have burned down.
    Nobody in the room challenges these superficial arguments and
    question-begging analogies.

    Not all the speakers march in lock step. Anjan Chatterjee, a shy
    Indian-American neurologist, warns that our winner-takes-all society
    is driving a culture of Ritalin and amphetamines that enables
    overwork, ruins mental and physical health, and will eventually force
    everyone to pop pills. But he sighs, "I don't have the imagination to
    think of a way that this is not going to happen." Like other liberal
    worriers, he speaks from doubt, not faith. Unsure of what must be, he
    is overwhelmed by what is.

    My favorite speaker, sociologist Paul Wolpe[29]*, comes off like a
    linebacker from Brooklyn. He's got a broad mind fortified by a very
    American confidence. He points out that biotech is shaking up
    political alignments: Some pro-lifers support embryonic stem cell
    research; some pro-choicers opposed the removal of Terri Schiavo's
    feeding tube. He explains conservative objections to brain
    enhancement: social modeling, the erosion of the work ethic, the
    evasion of deep problems through symptom relief. But Wolpe seems
    paralyzed by what he sees as America's commitment to individualism.
    You can express a bioethical viewpoint, but you can't impose it on
    others, he says. Why not? That's "the way we've decided" to treat
    moral questions, he says. How odd: a liberal straitjacket based on the
    authority of tradition.

    The morning wraps up, and we're off to a luncheon speech by Penn's
    president, Amy Gutmann. She sits down at my table and notices a book
    lying across from her. It's Gazzaniga's. She jots down its title:
    [30]The Ethical Brain. Proceeding to the podium, she alludes to the
    book with cocktail-party familiarity, says she's looking forward to
    reading it, and reflects on its implications. Her speech is about
    "sound-bite democracy," which she blames on blogs and mass media
    "polluting our public discourse." This she contrasts with the wise,
    careful "deliberative democracy" of "places like this." Gutmann
    repeats the buzzwords: blogs, mass media, wise, careful, deliberative.
    Her favorite sound bite is "sound bite." The professors and students
    applaud as she exits with a young man in a suit. A Penn official tells
    me excitedly who the young man is: Gutmann's speechwriter.

    Correction, April 5: This article originally said Paul Wolpe was a
    psychiatrist. According to the University of Pennsylvania [32]Web
    site, Wolpe is a professor in the Department of Psychiatry and directs
    the Program in Psychiatry and Ethics at Penn's School of Medicine.
    However, he is not a psychiatrist. He is a sociologist. [33]Return to
    the corrected sentence.

    William Saletan is Slate's chief political correspondent and author of
    [34]Bearing Right: How Conservatives Won the Abortion War.
    posted April 11, 2005
    William Saletan

    [37]Natural-Born Killers
    Biotechnology and the unpleasant alternatives.
    posted April 4, 2005
    William Saletan

    [38]Drugstore Cowboys
    The strange timidity of liberal bioethics.
    posted April 4, 2005
    William Saletan

    [39]Deathbed Conversion
    The lesson of Tom DeLay's mortal hypocrisy.
    posted March 28, 2005
    William Saletan

    [40]Se Habla B.S.?
    The White House lies about Latinos and Social Security.
    posted March 24, 2005
    William Saletan