[Paleopsych] CBC: (Colson) Human Dignity in the Biotech Century, by Sandra Davis

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sat Apr 16 22:22:44 UTC 2005

Book Review: Human Dignity in the Biotech Century, by Sandra Davis
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:36:03 -0600
Center for Bioethics and Culture <cbcinfo at thecbc.org>

In every era, men and women have been given the responsibility to be
stewards of the world and its affairs. In our time, this task, having
never been an easy one, has become even more difficult. We not only live
in a pluralistic society, but also a highly technological one and the
ethical dilemmas we face are, in some ways, unlike any others. In the
twenty-first century, often dubbed the “biotech century”, questions of
right and wrong have become inextricably linked to our widening awareness
of our technological prowess- our gathering strength to affect mankind at
the genetic level. These serious issues require a balanced response, one
that supports the harnessing of the incredible capacities our world
offers, but as good stewards, advocates the ethical use of those
capacities for the benefit of mankind. As biotechnology becomes the new
nexus of moral stewardship for our century, our obligation remains to make
ethical decisions before God, not only for ourselves, but for every
generation after us.

Charles W. Colson and Nigel M. de S. Cameron, Ph.D., have done the
Christian community a substantial service by editing a collection of
essays, entitled Human Dignity in the Biotech Century, to aid in this
process of staying well-informed. These essays present a Christian
approach toward biotechnology and its moral concerns. Genetics,
cybernetics, cloning and the public policy and legal needs of each area
are addressed. The authors are diverse, including physicians, academics,
scientists, and lawyers; from both Christian and secular circles who
recognize the importance of collaboration as a means of effecting change.

The comprehensive range of issues addressed reflects the rapid pace with
which biotech has developed, far beyond the early years of the abortion
debate in the seventies. A thorough education is greatly needed,
especially among Christians who oftentimes, are last to engage in cultural
discussions out of a desire to protect the integrity of the faith. The
need for action must come out of staying abreast of the current issues and
Cameron notes this purpose in his introductory essay, “Christian Vision
for the Biotech Century”: “The pro-life community needs to upgrade both
its understanding of and commitment to questions that go beyond abortion
and yet are of equal gravity to our conscience and our civilization in
their threat to the sanctity of human life”. Though rightfully engaged in
the abortion debate, a more well-rounded defense against newer issues is
urgent.

Because the issue of cloning is nearest to the public consciousness, a few
essays are devoted to describing the process of cloning in layman's terms
and outlining its ethical implications. The passage of Prop. 71, a bill
designating taxpayer money for embryonic stem cell research, in California
in 2004, has unfortunately proved the timeliness of the warnings by those
committed to responsible bioethics. Yet the common charge of Luddism by
critics is not one that can be substantiated within these pages; “The
Sanctity of Life in a Brave New World” states in its manifesto: “We
strongly favor work in biotechnology that will lead to cures for diseases
and disabilities, and we are excited by the promise of stem cells from
adult donors and other ethical avenues of research...we welcome all
medical and scientific research that is firmly tethered to moral truth”.

Other essays address the impact of genetics where, among other concerns,
the desire to patent genetic material for purposes of research makes men
and women objects to be owned rather than autonomous, free individuals. C.
Ben Mitchell, Ph.D., stresses this in his essay “The New Genetics and the
Dignity of Humankind”: “Genetic technology may be used to relieve human
suffering, treat human diseases and thereby protect human dignity; or it
may be used in ways that erode our dignity and treat us as mere
commodities, or even worse, refashion us in someone else's image”. David
Stevens, M.D., in his essay “Promise and Peril”, celebrates the potential
benefits of genetics but also argues for reasonable parameters for an
almost completely unregulated field.

Since the Christian community is most familiar with the pro-life debate
surrounding abortion, a couple of essays discuss how the national
discussion has changed since Roe v. Wade, and offer new strategies for the
Christian community.

Overall, Human Dignity in the Biotech Century is an excellent book for
those wanting to familiarize themselves with the current issues, and to
gain a sense of the “big picture”. It is educational, sobering, and
uplifting, too- the work that these authors are doing in their various
vocations to advocate for responsible bioethics is exactly the right
response. Finding the appropriate balance between ethical applications of
biotech while not compromising the distinct, inviolable nature of human
beings is part of the task of our generation.

Sandra Davis, Staff Writer, The Center for Bioethics and Culture