[Paleopsych] Intelligent Bacteria

G. Reinhart-Waller waluk at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 23 15:01:20 UTC 2005

I very much appreciate that you've sent along your references on
Bacterial intelligence.

We propose that bacteria use their
intracellular flexibility, involving signal transduction
networks and genomic plasticity, to collectively maintain
linguistic communication: self and shared interpretations
of chemical cues, exchange of chemical
messages (semantic) and dialogues (pragmatic). Meaning-
based communication permits colonial identity,
intentional behavior (e.g. pheromone-based courtship
for mating), purposeful alteration of colony structure
(e.g. formation of fruiting bodies), decision-making (e.g.
to sporulate) and the recognition and identification of
other colonies – features we might begin to associate
with a bacterial social intelligence.

Much more involved than simply neuropeptides and enzymes.

Gerry Reinhart-Waller
Independent Scholar