[Paleopsych] Edge: A Theory of Roughness: A Talk with Benoit Mandelbrot

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 20:12:47 UTC 2005

That's eight for today. You're almost certain to get a full ten tomorrow,
since that's when the Chronicle of Higer Education comes out and when I
check Arts & Letters daily, my main sources besides the New York Times.

A Theory of Roughness: A Talk with Benoit Mandelbrot
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/mandelbrot04/mandelbrot04_index.html

      A recent, important turn in my life occurred when I realized that
    something that I have long been stating in footnotes should be put on
         the marquee. I have engaged myself, without realizing it, in
     undertaking a theory of roughness. Think of color, pitch, loudness,
      heaviness, and hotness. Each is the topic of a branch of physics.
       Chemistry is filled with acids, sugars, and alcohols -- all are
       concepts derived from sensory perceptions. Roughness is just as
     important as all those other raw sensations, but was not studied for
                                its own sake.
                                      .
                            A THEORY OF ROUGHNESS
                        A Talk with Benoit Mandelbrot

    Introduction

    During the 1980s Benoit Mandelbrot accepted my invitation to give a
    talk before The Reality Club. The evening was the toughest ticket in
    the 10 year history of live Reality Club events during that decade: it
    seemed like every artist in New York had heard about it and wanted to
    attend. It was an exciting, magical evening. I've stayed in touch with
    Mandelbrot and shared an occasional meal with him every few years,
    always interested in what he has to say. Recently, we got together
    prior to his 80th birthday.

    Mandelbrot is best known as the founder of fractal geometry which
    impacts mathematics, diverse sciences, and arts, and is best
    appreciated as being the first broad attempt to investigate
    quantitatively the ubiquitous notion of roughness.

    And he continues to push the envelope with his theory of roughness.
    "There is a joke that your hammer will always find nails to hit," he
    says. "I find that perfectly acceptable. The hammer I crafted is the
    first effective tool for all kinds of roughness and nobody will deny
    that there is at least some roughness everywhere."

    "My book, The Fractal Geometry of Nature," he says, reproduced
    Hokusai's print of the Great Wave, the famous picture with Mt. Fuji in
    the background, and also mentioned other unrecognized examples of
    fractality in art and engineering. Initially, I viewed them as amusing
    but not essential. But I soon changed my mind.

    "Innumerable readers made me aware of something strange. They made me
    look around and recognize fractals in the works of artists since time
    immemorial. I now collect such works. An extraordinary amount of
    arrogance is present in any claim of having been the first in
    "inventing" something. It's an arrogance that some enjoy, and others
    do not. Now I reach beyond arrogance when I proclaim that fractals had
    been pictured forever but their true role had remained unrecognized
    and waited for me to be uncovered."
    [10]
    -- JB

    BENOIT MANDELBROT is Sterling Professor of Mathematical Sciences at
    Yale University and IBM Fellow Emeritus (Physics) at the IBM T.J.
    Watson Research Center. His books include The Fractal Geometry of
    Nature; Fractals and Scaling in Finance); and (with Richard L. Hudson)
    The (mis)Behavior of Markets.

    [11]Benoit Mandelbrot's [12]Edge Bio Page

    A THEORY OF ROUGHNESS
    (BENOIT MANDELBROT:) There is a saying that every nice piece of work
    needs the right person in the right place at the right time. For much
    of my life, however, there was no place where the things I wanted to
    investigate were of interest to anyone. So I spent much of my life as
    an outsider, moving from field to field, and back again, according to
    circumstances. Now that I near 80, write my memoirs, and look back, I
    realize with wistful pleasure that on many occasions I was 10, 20, 40,
    even 50 years "ahead of my time." Until a few years ago, the topics in
    my Ph.D. were unfashionable but they are very popular today.

    My ambition was not to create a new field, but I would have welcomed a
    permanent group of people having interests close to mine and therefore
    breaking the disastrous tendency towards increasingly well-defined
    fields. Unfortunately, I failed on this essential point, very badly.
    Order doesn't come by itself. In my youth I was a student at Caltech
    while molecular biology was being created by Max Delbrück, so I saw
    what it means to create a new field. But my work did not give rise to
    anything like that. One reason is my personality -- I don't seek power
    and do not run around. A second is circumstances -- I was in an
    industrial laboratory because academia found me unsuitable. Besides,
    creating close organized links between activities which otherwise are
    very separate might have been beyond any single person's ability.

    That issue is important to me now, in terms of legacy. Let me
    elaborate. When I turned seventy, a former postdoc organized a festive
    meeting in Curaçao. It was superb because of the participation of
    mathematician friends, physicist friends, engineering friends,
    economist friends and many others. Geographically, Curaçao is out of
    the way, hence not everybody could make it, but every field was
    represented. Several such meetings had been organized since 1982.
    However, my enjoyment of Curaçao was affected by a very strong feeling
    that this was going to be the last such common meeting. My efforts
    over the years had been successful to the extent, to take an example,
    that fractals made many mathematicians learn a lot about physics,
    biology, and economics. Unfortunately, most were beginning to feel
    they had learned enough to last for the rest of their lives. They
    remained mathematicians, had been changed by considering the new
    problems I raised, but largely went their own way.

    Today, various activities united at Curaçao are again quite separate.
    Notable exceptions persist, to which I shall return in a moment.
    However, as I was nearing eighty, a Curaçao-like meeting was not
    considered at all. Instead, the event is being celebrated by more than
    half a dozen specialized meetings in diverse locations. The most novel
    and most encouraging one will be limited to very practical
    applications of fractals, to issues concerning plastics, concrete, the
    internet, and the like.

    For many years I had been hearing the comment that fractals make
    beautiful pictures, but are pretty useless. I was irritated because
    important applications always take some time to be revealed. For
    fractals, it turned out that we didn't have to wait very long. In pure
    science, fads come and go. To influence basic big-budget industry
    takes longer, but hopefully also lasts longer.

    To return to and explain how fractals have influenced pure
    mathematics, let me say that I am about to spend several weeks at the
    Mittag-Leffler Institute at the Swedish Academy of Sciences. Only 25
    years ago, I had no reason to set foot there, except to visit the
    spectacular library. But, as it turned out, my work has inspired three
    apparently distinct programs at this Institute.

                                      ~~

    The first was held in the 1980s when the Mandelbrot Set was a topic of
    a whole year of discussion. It may not be widely appreciated that the
    discovery of that set had consisted in empowering the eye again, in
    inspecting pictures beyond counting and on their basis stating a
    number of observations and conjectures to which I drew the
    mathematicians' attention. One of my conjectures was solved in six
    months, a second in five years, a third in ten. But the basic
    conjecture, despite heroic efforts rewarded by two Fields Medals,
    remains a conjecture, now called MLC: the Mandelbrot Set is locally
    connected. The notion that these conjectures might have been reached
    by pure thought -- with no picture -- is simply inconceivable.

    The next Mittag-Leffler year I inspired came six years ago and focused
    on my "4/3" conjecture about Brownian motion. Its discovery is
    characteristic of my research style and my legacy, hence deserves to
    be retold.

    Scientists have known Brownian motion for centuries, and the
    mathematical model provided by Norbert Wiener is a marvelous pillar at
    the very center of probability theory. Early on, scientists had made
    pictures both of Brownian motion in nature and of Wiener's model. But
    this area developed like many others in mathematics and lost all
    contact with the real world.

    My attitude has been totally different. I always saw a close kinship
    between the needs of "pure" mathematics and a certain hero of Greek
    mythology, Antaeus. The son of Earth, he had to touch the ground every
    so often in order to reestablish contact with his Mother; otherwise
    his strength waned. To strangle him, Hercules simply held him off the
    ground. Back to mathematics. Separation from any down-to-earth input
    could safely be complete for long periods -- but not forever. In
    particular, the mathematical study of Brownian motion deserved a fresh
    contact with reality.

    Seeking such a contact, I had my programmer draw a very big sample
    motion and proceeded to play with it. I was not trying to implement
    any preconceived idea, simply actively "fishing" for new things. For a
    long time, nothing new came up. Then I conceived an idea that was less
    scientific than esthetic. I became bothered by the fact that, when a
    Brownian motion has been drawn from time 0 to time 1, its two end
    portions and its middle portion follow different rules. That is, the
    whole is not homogeneous, exhibits a certain lack of inner symmetry, a
    deficit of beauty.

    This triggered the philosophical prejudice that when you seek some
    unspecified and hidden property, you don't want extraneous complexity
    to interfere. In order to achieve homogeneity, I decided to make the
    motion end where it had started. The resulting motion biting its own
    tail created a distinctive new shape I call Brownian cluster. Next the
    same purely aesthetic consideration led to further processing. The
    continuing wish to eliminate extraneous complexity made me combine all
    the points that cannot be reached from infinity without crossing the
    Brownian cluster. Painting them in black sufficed, once again, to
    create something quite new, resembling an island. Instantly, it became
    apparent that its boundary deserved to be investigated. Just as
    instantly, my long previous experience with the coastlines of actual
    islands on Earth came handy and made me suspect that the boundary of
    Brownian motion has a fractal dimension equal to 4/3. The fractal
    dimension is a concept that used to belong to well-hidden mathematical
    esoteric. But in the previous decades I had tamed it into becoming an
    intrinsic qualitative measure of roughness.

    Empirical measurement yielded 1.3336 and on this basis, my 1982 book,
    The Fractal Geometry of Nature, conjectured that the value of 4/3 is
    exact. Mathematician friends chided me: had I told them before
    publishing, they could have quickly provided a fully rigorous proof of
    my conjecture. They were wildly overoptimistic, and a proof turned out
    to be extraordinarily elusive. A colleague provided a numerical
    approximation that fitted 4/3 to about 15 decimal places, but an
    actual proof took 18 years and the joining of contributions of three
    very different scientists. It was an enormous sensation in the year
    2000. Not only the difficult proof created its own very active sub
    field of mathematics, but it affected other, far removed, sub fields
    by automatically settling many seemingly unrelated conjectures. An
    article in Science magazine reported to my great delight a comment
    made at a major presentation of the results, that this was the most
    exciting thing in probability theory in 20 years. Amazing things
    started happening and the Mittag-Leffler Institute organized a full
    year to discuss what to do next.

    Today, after the fact, the boundary of Brownian motion might be billed
    as a "natural" concept. But yesterday this concept had not occurred to
    anyone. And even if it had been reached by pure thought, how could
    anyone have proceeded to the dimension 4/3? To bring this topic to
    life it was necessary for the Antaeus of Mathematics to be compelled
    to touch his Mother Earth, if only for one fleeting moment.

    Within the mathematical community, the MLC and 4/3 conjectures had a
    profound effect -- witnessed recently when the French research
    council, CNRS, expressed itself as follows. "Mathematics operates in
    two complementary ways. In the 'visual' one the meaning of a theorem
    is perceived instantly on a geometric figure. The 'written' one leans
    on language, on algebra; it operates in time. Hermann Well wrote that
    'the angel of geometry and the devil of algebra share the stage,
    illustrating the difficulties of both.'"

    I, who took leave from French mathematics at age 20 because of its
    rage against images, could not have described it better. Great to be
    alive when these words come from that pen. But don't forget that, in
    the generations between Hermann Well (1885-1955) and today -- the
    generations of my middle years -- the mood had been totally different.

    Back to cluster dimension. At IBM, where I was working at the time, my
    friends went on from the Brownian to other clusters. They began with
    the critical percolation cluster, which is a famous mathematical
    structure of great interest in statistical physics. For it, an
    intrinsic complication is that the boundary can be defined in two
    distinct ways, yielding 4/3, again, and 7/4. Both values were first
    obtained numerically but by now have been proven theoretically, not by
    isolated arguments serving no other purpose, but in a way that has
    been found very useful elsewhere. As this has continued, an enormous
    range of geometric shapes, so far discussed physically but not
    rigorously, became attractive in pure mathematics, and the proofs were
    found to be very difficult and very interesting.

    The third meeting that my work inspired at the Mittag-Leffler
    Institute of the Swedish Academy, will take place this year. Its
    primarily concern will be a topic I have already mentioned, the
    mathematics of the Internet.

    This may or may not have happened to you, but some non-negligible
    proportion of e/mail gets lost. Multiple identical messages are a
    pest, but the sender is actually playing it safe for the good reason
    that in engineering everything is finite. There is a very complicated
    way in which messages get together, separate, and are sorted. Although
    computer memory is no longer expensive, there's always a finite size
    buffer somewhere. When a big piece of news arrives, everybody sends a
    message to everybody else, and the buffer fills. If so, what happens
    to the messages? They're gone, just flow into the river.

    At first the experts thought they could use an old theory that had
    been developed in the 1920s for telephone networks. But as the
    Internet expanded, it was found that this model won't work. Next they
    tried one of my inventions from the mid-1960s, and it wouldn't work
    either. Then they tried multi fractals, a mathematical construction
    that I had introduced in the late 1960s and into the 1970s. Multi
    fractals are the sort of concept that might have been originated by
    mathematicians for the pleasure of doing mathematics, but in fact it
    originated in my study of turbulence and I immediately extended it to
    finance. To test new internet equipment one examines its performance
    under multi fractal variability. This is even a fairly big business,
    from what I understand.

                                      ~~

    How could it be that the same technique applies to the Internet, the
    weather and the stock market? Why, without particularly trying, am I
    touching so many different aspects of many different things?

    A recent, important turn in my life occurred when I realized that
    something that I have long been stating in footnotes should be put on
    the marquee. I have engaged myself, without realizing it, in
    undertaking a theory of roughness. Think of color, pitch, heaviness,
    and hotness. Each is the topic of a branch of physics. Chemistry is
    filled with acids, sugars, and alcohols; all are concepts derived from
    sensory perceptions. Roughness is just as important as all those other
    raw sensations, but was not studied for its own sake.

    In 1982 a metallurgist approached me, with the impression that fractal
    dimension might provide at long last a measure of the roughness of
    such things as fractures in metals. Experiments confirmed this hunch,
    and we wrote a paper for Nature in 1984. It brought a big following
    and actually created a field concerned with the measurement of
    roughness. Recently, I have moved the contents of that paper to page 1
    of every description of my life's work.

    Those descriptions have repeatedly changed, because I was not
    particularly precocious, but I'm particularly long-lived and continue
    to evolve even today. Above a multitude of specialized considerations,
    I see the bulk of my work as having been directed towards a single
    overarching goal: to develop a rigorous analysis for roughness. At
    long last, this theme has given powerful cohesion to my life. Earlier
    on, since my Ph.D. thesis in 1952, the cohesion had been far more
    flimsy. It had been based on scaling, that is, on the central role
    taken by so-called power-law relations.

    For better or worse, none of my acquaintances has or had a similar
    story to tell. Everybody I have known has been constantly conscious of
    working in a pre-existing field or in one being consciously
    established. As a notable example, Max Delbrück was first a physicist,
    and then became the founder of molecular biology, a field he always
    understood as extending the field of biology. To the contrary, my fate
    has been that what I undertook was fully understood only after the
    fact, very late in my life.

    To appreciate the nature of fractals, recall Galileo's splendid
    manifesto that "Philosophy is written in the language of mathematics
    and its characters are triangles, circles and other geometric figures,
    without which one wanders about in a dark labyrinth." Observe that
    circles, ellipses, and parabolas are very smooth shapes and that a
    triangle has a small number of points of irregularity. Galileo was
    absolutely right to assert that in science those shapes are necessary.
    But they have turned out not to be sufficient, "merely" because most
    of the world is of infinitely great roughness and complexity. However,
    the infinite sea of complexity includes two islands: one of Euclidean
    simplicity, and also a second of relative simplicity in which
    roughness is present, but is the same at all scales.

    The standard example is the cauliflower. One glance shows that it's
    made of florets. A single floret, examined after you cut everything
    else, looks like a small cauliflower. If you strip that floret of
    everything except one "floret of a floret" -- very soon you must take
    out your magnifying glass -- it's again a cauliflower. A cauliflower
    shows how an object can be made of many parts, each of which is like a
    whole, but smaller. Many plants are like that. A cloud is made of
    billows upon billows upon billows that look like clouds. As you come
    closer to a cloud you don't get something smooth but irregularities at
    a smaller scale.

    Smooth shapes are very rare in the wild but extremely important in the
    ivory tower and the factory, and besides were my love when I was a
    young man. Cauliflowers exemplify a second area of great simplicity,
    that of shapes which appear more or less the same as you look at them
    up close or from far away, as you zoom in and zoom out.

    Before my work, those shapes had no use, hence no word was needed to
    denote them. My work created such a need and I coined "fractals." I
    had studied Latin as a youngster, and was trying to convey the idea of
    a broken stone, something irregular and fragmented. Latin is a very
    concrete language, and my son's Latin dictionary confirmed that a
    stone that was hit and made irregular and broken up, is described in
    Latin by the adjective "fractus." This adjective made me coin the word
    fractal, which now is in every dictionary and encyclopedia. It denotes
    shapes that are the same from close and far away.

                                      ~~

    Do I claim that everything that is not smooth is fractal? That
    fractals suffice to solve every problem of science? Not in the least.
    What I'm asserting very strongly is that, when some real thing is
    found to be un smooth, the next mathematical model to try is fractal
    or multi fractal. A complicated phenomenon need not be fractal, but
    finding that a phenomenon is "not even fractal" is bad news, because
    so far nobody has invested anywhere near my effort in identifying and
    creating new techniques valid beyond fractals. Since roughness is
    everywhere, fractals -- although they do not apply to everything --
    are present everywhere. And very often the same techniques apply in
    areas that, by every other account except geometric structure, are
    separate.

    To give an example, let me return to the stock market and the weather.
    It's almost trite to compare them and speak of storms and hurricanes
    on Wall Street. For a while the market is almost flat, and almost
    nothing happens. But every so often it hits a little storm, or a
    hurricane. These are words which practical people use very freely but
    one may have viewed them as idle metaphors. It turns out, however,
    that the techniques I developed for studying turbulence -- like
    weather -- also apply to the stock market. Qualitative properties like
    the overall behavior of prices, and many quantitative properties as
    well, can be obtained by using fractals or multi fractals at an
    extraordinarily small cost in assumptions.

    This does not mean that the weather and the financial markets have
    identical causes -- absolutely not. When the weather changes and
    hurricanes hit, nobody believes that the laws of physics have changed.
    Similarly, I don't believe that when the stock market goes into
    terrible gyrations its rules have changed. It's the same stock market
    with the same mechanisms and the same people.

    A good side effect of the idea of roughness is that it dissipates the
    surprise, the irritation, and the unease about the possibility of
    applying fractal geometry so widely.

    The fact that it is not going to lack problems anytime soon is
    comforting. By way of background, a branch of physics that I was
    working in for many years has lately become much less active. Many
    problems have been solved and others are so difficult that nobody
    knows what to do about them. This means that I do much less physics
    today than 15 years ago. By contrast, fractal tools have plenty to do.
    There is a joke that your hammer will always find nails to hit. I find
    that perfectly acceptable. The hammer I crafted is the first effective
    tool for all kinds of roughness and nobody will deny that there is at
    last some roughness everywhere.

    I did not and don't plan any general theory of roughness, because I
    prefer to work from the bottom up and not from top to bottom. But the
    problems are there. Again, I didn't try very hard to create a field.
    But now, long after the fact, I enjoy this enormous unity and
    emphasize it in every recent publication.

    The goal to push the envelope further has brought another amazing
    development, which could have been described as something recent, but
    isn't. My book, The Fractal Geometry of Nature, reproduced Hokusai's
    print of the Great Wave, the famous picture with Mt. Fuji in the
    background, and also mentioned other unrecognized examples of
    fractality in art and engineering. Initially, I viewed them as amusing
    but not essential. But I changed my mind as innumerable readers made
    me aware of something strange. They made me look around and recognize
    fractals in the works of artists since time immemorial. I now collect
    such works. An extraordinary amount of arrogance is present in any
    claim of having been the first in "inventing" something. It's an
    arrogance that some enjoy, and others do not. Now I reach beyond
    arrogance when I proclaim that fractals had been pictured forever but
    their true role remained unrecognized and waited for me to be
    uncovered.

                                 EDGE READING

    "Good, narrative history, combined with much fine writing ...quirky,
    absorbing and persuasive in just the way that good stories are." --
    Nature o "Some of the biggest brains in the world turn their lenses on
    their own lives...fascinating...an invigorating debate." -- Washington
    Post o "Compelling." -- Disocver o " An engrossing treat of a
    book...crammed with hugely enjoyable anecdotes...you'll have a
    wonderful time reading these reminiscences." -- New Scientist o o "An
    intriguing collection of essays detailing the childhood experiences of
    prominent scientists and the life events that sparked their hunger for
    knowledge. Full of comical and thought-provoking stories." -- Globe &
    Mail o o "An inspiring collection of 27 essays by leading scientists
    about the childhood moments that set them on their shining paths." --
    Psychology Today