[Paleopsych] What's the survival value of post traumatic stressdisorder?

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Tue Apr 26 01:23:48 UTC 2005

As usual, Alice is a great resource. A further view: Who is most / least
disabled by PTSD?
    - preparation reduces PTSD. Special Forces troops in Viet Nam were
exposed to worse violence (like when the Cong cut off arms of children
the SF medics vaccinated) than grunts but had almost no PTSD. It was
because of the extensive training, compared with 16 weeks of Basic / AIT.
    - story telling: Edna Foa found that repeatedly telling the story
reduced PTSD in rape victims.

So PTSD may be nature's way of telling us we aren't preparing ourselves
and we aren't telling / listening to the story. Imagine a village in
africa. To the beat of a drum, a hunter is telling his story:
    Hunter: Then as I approached the antelope, I saw a lion!
    Villagers in unison: Boom-chucka, boom chucka boom chucka
    Hunter: The lion leaped!
    V: Boom chucka!
    H: It missed me but it got Steve!
    V: Aaargh!

The youth are prepared (hunting is dangerous, lions are about) and by
sharing, in perhaps a ritualistic way, he masters the trauma.

My dad, late in life, told his story of being a flight engineer on a
B-17 over Europe. While he told the story (as my mother wrote it down)
he cried for two days. It puzzled him. "It's been 40 years, it shouldn't
still bother me" but after that he was as relaxed and peaceful as I had
ever seen him. The storytelling had a ritual quality (tell your story
and I will write it down for the kids) and he found some mastery.

Lynn