[Paleopsych] Journal of Clinical Epidemiology: Trends in old-age mortality in seven European countries, 1950-1999

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Mon Aug 8 01:36:27 UTC 2005

Trends in old-age mortality in seven European countries, 1950-1999 Journal of
Clinical Epidemiology Volume 57, Issue 2 , February 2004, Pages 203-216

F. Janssen [Corresponding Author Contact Information] , [E-mail The
Corresponding Author] , a, J. P. Mackenbacha, A. E. Kunsta and for NEDCOMa, a,
a, a, a, b, b, a, b, 1

a Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam,
P.O. Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
b Population Research Centre, Faculty of Spatial Sciences, University of
Groningen, P.O. Box 800, 9700 AV, Groningen, The Netherlands

Accepted 24 July 2003.  Available online 20 May 2004.

Abstract

Objective

Different from the general observed decline in old-age mortality, for The
Netherlands and Norway there have been reports of stagnation in the decline
since the 1980s. We detect periods of stagnation in recent old-age mortality
trends, and explore for which causes of death the recent stagnation is most
apparent.

Study design and setting

We applied Poisson regression analysis to total and cause-specific mortality
data by age (80+), period (1950-1999), and sex for seven European low-mortality
countries.

Results

We found large heterogeneity in the pace of decline in the countries under
investigation, with periods of stagnation being widespread. In the 1980s and
1990s, stagnation was observed in Denmark, The Netherlands, and Norway (males).
Continued mortality decline was observed especially in France. Although smoking
has had a marked influence on the trends in old-age mortality, the role of
smoking in the recent stagnation seems only modest and restricted to Norway.
Mortality from cardiovascular diseases showed important crossnational
variations in the pace of decline. Mortality from diseases specifically related
to old age increased recently in all countries, except France.

Conclusion

Old-age mortality seems highly plastic and susceptible to many factors, with
both favorable and unfavorable effects on trends over time.

Author Keywords: Mortality; Trends; Causes of death; Elderly; Smoking; Europe

Article Outline

1. Background
2. Data and methods
2.1. Data
2.2. Statistical analysis
2.3. Concordance
3. Results
4. Discussion
4.1. Evaluation of data and methods
4.2. Explanations of the trends observed
4.3. Implications
Acknowledgements
Appendix I. The concordance table used for bridging five revisions of the
International Classification of Diseases (ICD)