[Paleopsych] ParaPundit: Whites Still Do Manual Labor In Wisconsin

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Mon Aug 15 22:55:57 UTC 2005

Whites Still Do Manual Labor In Wisconsin
http://www.parapundit.com/archives/002938.html#002938

    2005 August 14 Sunday
    Whites Still Do Manual Labor In Wisconsin

    Over at [9]No Speed Bumps Dan reports on how [10]during a vacation
    trip in Wisconsin he found white people doing all the manual labor
    jobs that are done by Hispanics in Texas.

      Two weeks ago I vacationed near Oshkosh, Wisconsin. One thing
      strikingly different than living in Texas was that there were few
      Hispanics. In Texas, Hispanics are found in all walks of life, from
      doctors to janitors.

      With so many impoverished Hispanics illegally moving to Texas over
      the southern border each year, they have taken over most of the
      lower-skill jobs because they will work for less than American
      citizens. Go to any restaurant, hotel, or construction site and all
      of the basic manual labor tasks are being done by low-income
      Hispanics.

      Anyway, while on vacation, in the hotels we stayed in all of the
      maid staff and other help were white. The same was true of all of
      the restaurants we ate in, from the cooks, to the bus boys, to the
      grounds keepers. I felt like we were in a time machine and in a
      strange land.

      An interesting note about the maid staff at the hotels was the good
      cheer that they were in. They were constantly chatting among
      themselves and seemed very content as they went about their work.
      This reminded me that, yes, there is dignity to manual labor, and
      yes, white people can still do manual labor.

      This runs counter to the fashionable argument today justifying the
      open border policy with Mexico. The argument goes that America
      could just not function without all of the low-skill workers coming
      in to do all of the manual labor. Well, that is ridiculous. It may
      drive prices up some, if American citizens (whether white, black,
      or any other race) must do the work but the work will still get
      done, one way or another.

    One of the big whopper lies told by open borders advocates such as
    George W. Bush is that there are "jobs that Americans won't do". This
    is nonsense. One only need travel to those places where the bulk of
    the population is still white to see that this claim is false
    propaganda.

    As for the argument that a lack of cheap immigrant labor will drive up
    prices, it rests on three fallacies:
      * That low skilled labor makes up much of total costs. Wrong-o
        sleigh bell lovers. The bottom quintile of the United States
        population earns [11]only 3.5% of national income. 20% get 3.5%.
        If we deported all the illegal aliens and stopped all low skiilled
        and moderate skilled immigration the bottom 20% would see some
        significant increase in their wages. But that increase would be
        unlikely raise total prices by even a couple of percent. We don't
        pay them that much. A 10% or 20% increase in their salaries won't
        matter much to the rest of the population.
      * That there are no substitutes for cheap labor. Again, wrong-o
        sleigh bell lovers. Necessity is the mother of invention. In all
        likelihood, faced with higher labor costs industry would be more
        eager to develop and buy more capital equipment and to arrange the
        methods of purveying goods and services to decrease the amount of
        labor needed. In fact, we have an example available for what the
        lack of cheap immigrant labor will do to an industry. [12]The
        Australian wine industry is more automated than the American wine
        industry due to lack of cheap immigrant labor in Australia. Ben
        Franklin was right. We'd advance more rapidly without simple minds
        available to do simple tasks cheaply.
      * That there are no external costs to cheap unskilled immigrant
        labor. And once again, wrong-o sleigh bell lovers. Low skilled
        laborers can not afford to pay for their own medical care. They
        don't pay enough in taxes to pay for the educations of their
        children. They do not make enough to pay for their retirements in
        the United States. The list goes on. Oh, and they commit crime at
        higher rates. So they cost crime victims and also the criminal
        justice system. A year for an inmate at Rikers Island in New York
        costs $47,000. Criminals are expensive for the rest of us in many
        ways.

    The Open Borders advocates are deeply dishonest. America's elites are
    corrupt. They lie. They can not be trusted. America is going down a
    very wrong path. Our leaders in business and politics are to blame.
    But so are apathetic members of the public. It is time to wake up and
    demand a stop to massive immigration. The costs have become far too
    high and will be with us for decades to come.
    By Randall Parker at 2005 August 14 06:44 PM  [13]Immigration
    Economics | [14]TrackBack
    Comments

    in vermont too. many more latinos work in oregon than 10 years ago
    though, and i hear that similar things are going on in the south. i
    suspect that for a variety of reasons the upper midwest and new
    england (distance, climate, cost of living) will resist latino labor
    the longest.
    Posted by: [15]razib on August 14, 2005 08:55 PM

    Resistance is futile. Viva La Rasa.
    Posted by: [16]Mark on August 14, 2005 10:59 PM

    There would be a net savings from reversing the antimerit immigrant
    flow, some of which would be passed on to the consumers. If the bottom
    20% gets paid so little that their wages could double without the rich
    even noticing it, shifting 4% of the total income away from the top
    80% over several years, that is a worthwhile price to pay. There is no
    economic need to increase the size of the bottom end; it isn't about
    money, it's about power. How to get power, when there are no ideas;
    won't they use immigration to increase racial conflict, and say that
    officials must have more power?
    Posted by: [17]John S Bolton on August 14, 2005 11:26 PM

    For some reason my trackbacks to this post don't take, so ping!
    Posted by: [18]Dave Schuler on August 15, 2005 07:47 AM

    Eastern Washington, North Idaho, and Montana are alot like Wisconsin
    in that low end labor jobs are done primarly by whites. We have very
    few illegal aliens in this part of the country. This is good because
    we have much less of the "servant" culture that you see in California
    and other places. People clean their own homes and often do their own
    yard work. If you have someone else do these things, they are done by
    outside services operating more like independent business people
    rather than as "domestics". Not having the illegal immigrants means
    that we have a much more "do it yourself" mentality than, say, in
    Southern California.

    I do not like that "class" mentality that illegal immigration has
    produced in places like California and Texas. I think having distinct
    social classes, especially if they are of different races, is very
    destructive to the future of the U.S. The "open-borders" people need
    to be grilled over this issue.
    Posted by: [19]Kurt on August 15, 2005 10:01 AM

    razib - don't underestimate the number of mexicans in the upper
    midwest - chicago has the 2nd highest mexican population in the u.s.
    after l.a. granted this isn't wisconsin, but....

    randall - in a similar, practical manner that you approach alternative
    energy solutions, i.e. can't tell people to drive less or other
    inconveniences that would be a political non-starter in america today;
    what would be your political platform for immigration that would be
    politically feasible? i would love to know what you'd recommend,
    having put considerable thought to this issue, assuming something like
    you were an advisor to your senator. thanks.
    Posted by: [20]Jim on August 15, 2005 01:22 PM

    I spent a few days in Sierra Vista, AZ, a booming town about 15 miles
    north of the Mexican border. Strikingly, the maids in my motel were
    white, as were a lot of the other service workers. The answer to this
    paradox is that Sierra Vista is within the narrow band heavily policed
    by the Border Patrol. If illegal aliens are found there, they are
    deported. But if they make it far enough north to Tucson or Phoenix,
    well, they're Ollie Ollie Home Free.
    Posted by: [21]Steve Sailer on August 15, 2005 02:03 PM

    Jim,

    Perhaps I don't understand your question. Politically feasible? I
    think a candidate for the Presidency could run on a platform to deport
    all the illegals and win. The dollar cost to the government of
    deporting all the illegals would be pretty low.

    The anger about the immigrant deluge is building. But politicians are
    chasing the votes of Hispanics, the Democrats see them as a solid
    Democrat voting bloc (and they are), and some business interests want
    cheap labor.

    I'd tell a US Senator to submit a bill to fund a barrier along the
    entire length of the border. I'd also propose upping the number of
    Border Patrol by 20,000 and setting them loose in the interior with
    orders to round up all illegals. Congress should give instructions to
    DHS to resume interior enforcement.
    Posted by: [22]Randall Parker on August 15, 2005 03:33 PM