[Paleopsych] proposal re Iraq

Paul J. Werbos, Dr. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Mon Feb 7 23:05:20 UTC 2005

As I think about the psychological variables driving a lot of people..
driving what happens in Iraq and elsewhere.... and I think about
the recent discussion of Kennedy's proposal...

It would be in the common interest BOTH of the President AND of
the rest of the world if the Administration would introduce a bill
something like...

Iraqi Sovereignty Affirmation Act

Preamble

The President of the United States has announced that the US will
remove its troops from Iraq when and if the legitimate elected government
of Iraq
asks them to leave. It is hoped that this will happen, and will be
consistent with
domestic peace within Iraq, at the soonest possible time. This act is not
intended to change
that policy, but rather to affirm it and give it force of law in concrete
terms.
The purpose of doing so is to dispel any grounds for doubt or skepticism
about the sincere
intention of the United States government to adhere to this policy.

(1) After the people of Iraq have ratified a new Constitution, and that
Constitution comes
into effect, the executive branch of the United States is obligated to
follow any decisions
made by the government of Iraq under its constitution to limit the levels
of US troops.
More precisely, if the government of Iraq specifies a schedule of maximum
permitted
US troops on the sovereign territory of Iraq, then the US executive branch
is ordered to
obey that schedule, with one caveat. The caveat is that the President may
insist on up to six months prior notice of required troop reductions, if he
deems that logistic
realities require such notice.

(2) Even before a new Constitution is ratified, the US executive branch is
required to
give some respect to the
new representatives of the Iraqi people elected in January 2005. If at any time
  a properly constituted meeting of those representatives votes by a 2/3
majority to impose
a schedule of maximum permissible troop levels, then the executive branch
of the US is required to
obey that schedule, with two caveats. First, as in clause (1), the
President may ask for up to
six months prior notice for troop reductions. Second, if a majority of
those representatives
vote at any time to raise the allowable troop levels for any period of
time, that modified schedule would
immediately go into effect (subject still to the six months notice
requirement for actual reductions).

========

Of course, I can imagine folks who would like to add all kinds of extra
permissions and fuzzy stuff
here -- but I think that such additions would be a VERY BAD idea. Clarity
and simplicity is very important
for this kind of thing.
---

Whatever...

anyone know anyone who might be interested?

Best of luck to us all...

     Paul