[Paleopsych] [Fwd: Fears For A Finite Planet - The Climate Crisis]

Christian Rauh christian.rauh at uconn.edu
Wed Feb 16 19:48:59 UTC 2005

I always considered the ability to perceive time into the future and
past as one of the evolving capacities of brains. It seems to me that we
can plan/analyze things ahead and back thus not living only "in the
moment". (An ability that sometimes is detrimental to the enjoyment of
life, I must say.) And this planning/analyzing involves emotional and
rational responses to imagined future events and past experiences.

There is certainly an interplay between the time into the future or past
and the intensity/type of emotion felt and motivation to act. If the
event is ocurring right now, you have maximum emotional and rational
involvement - immediate danger - and action is taken. However, if the
event is in the future the involvement is lower and action might not be
taken. That is, until the event reaches a treshold in future time
(2065?) when action seems necessary.

Business, which are made up of humans, are based on planning. And our
economical system seems to be moving more and more towards prediction
instead of past results. But how much can business plan ahead and be
profitable? It seems that 2065 is not enough to make businesses consider
  those effects. 60 years is to much to go into business planing. But
how much can business predict ahead? 5 years? 10 years? I think the
longest government bonds are issued at 25 years. Could that be the
treshold for business action?

Am I making any sense?

Christian