[Paleopsych] Frank: Politics of science theme

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Fri Feb 18 13:49:06 UTC 2005

Frank, et al.,
I once consulted with a pharmaceutical research firm. We found that
scientists were NOT being clear and direct in communications with each
other about research. A scientist would present current progress on a
line of research, and some other researchers would walk out of the
meeting saying, "Well, that is a pretty stupid direction to go" but they
would not challenge each other.

Divergent opinions are generally felt as threatening to the group, and
it takes sustained effort to legitimize divergent opinions. We came up
with "Robust Scientific Dialog" as a title for an organizational
intervention that had some positive impact.

Lynn