[Paleopsych] NYT: Social Security Underestimates Future Life Spans, Critics Say

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Thu Jan 6 00:57:59 UTC 2005

It would be logical to simply raise the retirement age. For me, it is
now 66 years; why not make it 67 and finally 68? Push the concept
further: With 68 as the early retirement age, and 70 as the regular
retirement age, the cliff social security will run off in 30 years
disappears.

People with medical need to retire should be allowed something earlier,
like roofers and cement workers (in a previous incarnation, I was in
construction). Unfortunately we have made social security an
entitlement, not a welfare system, which it actually is (none of my
money will come back to me, it has been spend on bureaucratic boondoggle
and turned into T-bills).