[Paleopsych] fundamentalism and punishment

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 10 20:42:48 UTC 2005

It would appear that beliefs are changeable, however slowly.

Input is not ignored, it just takes a lot of data points to
change beliefs.

Speed of change may also vary in people, and at times of crisis
those who can't change their beliefs fast enough may die.

For example, my wife's grandparents were smart enough
to get out of Germany before their number came up.  But
many couldn't adapt fast enough and died for their beliefs.

Why is considered such a virtue to "die for your beliefs?"