[Paleopsych] Tom Coburn on abortion

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Sat Jan 15 14:25:14 UTC 2005

Michael,
You are correct. I tried www.news.google.com (I use news.google because
I want actual news stories and not internet rumors) and I found one
story from Oklahoma (Fox news) where they reported that. I did find a
lot of secondary sources with the term "death penalty" but only that one
primary source. Ironically he did perform two abortions himself in his
medical career:
http://www.fox23.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=BF956298-934E-4B30-B9D3-DC274E134AF4

I agree with you. His position is thoughtless. Such violent speech must
be opposed. I am personally repelled by abortion, but the right way to
deal with that is education and persuasion about better alternatives.
Violence is never the way. I plan to write to him and ask him to
moderate his views - using persuasion and reason again.

I was doubtful because his profession - physician - should have taught
him to do no harm. But that is certainly no guarantee of reason.
Lynn