[Paleopsych] when the body runs riot

Christian Rauh christian.rauh at uconn.edu
Sun Jul 3 14:39:34 UTC 2005

Robust and stable dynamic systems need control mechanisms for up and
down regulation to avoid positive feedback loops that spiral out of the
safety margins.

Christian

HowlBloom at aol.com wrote:
> The body has good reasons for giving us inflammations, or so we’ve been
> told by evolutionary biology.  Inflammation can quarantine
> micro-attackers and help heal our wounds.  But if the swollen redness of
> inflammation is so useful, why does the body have built in mechanisms to
> keep it under control?
>

> Those mechanisms are, according to the article below,
> “epoxyeicosatrienoic acids (EETs)”.  These acids keep a good thing from
> happening.  They rein in inflammation.
>

> Could the answer be something that the work of paleopsych member Neil
> Greenberg taught me a long time ago?  In moderate doses things the
> body’s own internally-concocted remedies are good.  In overdoses they
> can be poisons.  Stress hormones are examples.  In swift, sharp jolts,
> they are pick-me-ups, attention, strength, and energy boosters extremely
> useful in fast but vicious fights or when it’s time to turn tail and
> skedaddle, escape.  But in chronic doses, doses that go on and on and on
> and on from day to day and week to week, those same stress hormones,
> those quick-hit tonics, are poisons.
>

> Does the body need inflammation inhibitors like epoxyeicosatrienoic
> acids to make sure that it doesn’t get too much of a good thing?  Are
> these inhibitors part of the same sort of checks and balances that
> Sherringtonian nerves use when they are finely tuned by an excitatory
> signals and a counterbalance of inhibitory signals?  Are they like the
> extensor and tensor muscles, the upper bicep balanced against the muscle
> that faces it on the underside, the muscle below your arm from your
> shoulder to your elbow?  Snip the bottom muscle and your hand will fly
> up to your shoulder and stay there, stuck in place by the unchecked
> enthusiasm of the muscle on top.  Cut the top muscle, and your arm will
> look like an unbending stick.  Your elbow and forearm will be
> permanently locked in position.
>

> And are the acids that inhibit inflammation a bit like the part of the
> brain that does the most to civilize us, the most to make us “human’—the
> pre-frontal cortex?  You’d think that the human part of the brain would
> be there to throw us into hyper-gear and turbocharge, giving us the
> mental warp engines we need to break the consciousness barrier and
> rocket into thought.  But, no.  The prefrontal cortex does the
> opposite.  It’s a brake, a drag-chute, an inhibitor.  Without the
> “human” part of the brain, that three pound lump of pink stuff in our
> head would apparently do too much, not too little.  It takes restraint
> to make us human.
>

> When Aristotle said that life is really a balancing act between
> extremes, he may have gotten it far more right than he ever imagined.
> Howard
>

> Retrieved July 3, 2005, from the World Wide Web
>
> http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050702/fob2.asp
>

> Running Interference: Fresh approach to fighting inflammation
>

> Nathan Seppa

> [...]

                        ~ I G N O R A N C E ~

              The trouble with ignorance is precisely that
              if a person lacks virtue and knowledge,
              he's perfectly satisfied with the way he is.
              If a person isn't aware of a lack,
              he can not desire the thing
              which he isn't aware of lacking.

              Symposium (204a), Plato