[Paleopsych] Re: on islam

Christian Rauh christian.rauh at uconn.edu
Sat Jul 30 18:19:19 UTC 2005

Some argue that the great achievements of the Arab world were really
pre-islamic and that islam put a break on innovation which was center to
middle eastern culture before it. Things still were good for a while but
that was only some inertia from the old times as it took centuries to
change things in those days. Islamic religion changed the
characteristics of that culture (or culture groups) from decentralized
and autonomous to centralized and controlled. The first seemed to be a
better option for progress. What is striking to me is that the US seems
to be going the same way - in a counter-"terrorist" movement with
islamic roots, this country is absorbing the worst features of its "enemy".

As a disclaimer, I know little about Islam, the above is from what I've
heard. Anyone with better knowledge should point erros and elucidate.

Christian

--

                        ~ I G N O R A N C E ~

              The trouble with ignorance is precisely that
              if a person lacks virtue and knowledge,
              he's perfectly satisfied with the way he is.
              If a person isn't aware of a lack,
              he can not desire the thing
              which he isn't aware of lacking.

              Symposium (204a), Plato